Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV1 approval for N-reg in EU by whom?

I hold a EASA PPL without IR and a FAA PPL with IR and own/fly a N registered aircraft (part 91) in Europe, based in the Netherlands.
The airplane has a GN430W installed with all required documents STC SA01933lA-D, Form 337, FAA approved AFMS.
The GNS430W has the latest software version, obstacle database and navdata (updated monthly).

The Dutch AIP states:
An RNAV1 approval is required for all aircraft flying under IFR rules in the Schiphol TMAs inbound and outbound AMSTERDAM/Schiphol.

Who is giving this RNAV1 approval?
Me, as the operator?
The FAA, with a LOA C063?

Netherlands

EHAA wrote:

An RNAV1 approval is required for all aircraft flying under IFR rules in the Schiphol TMAs inbound and outbound AMSTERDAM/Schiphol.

Who is giving this RNAV1 approval?
Me, as the operator?
The FAA, with a LOA C063?

This is an old requirement. Specific RNAV1 approvals for the operators are not required anymore, at least not for non-commercial flights. If your aircraft has a NAV installation that is ok for RNAV 1 according to the FAA and the FAA license rules permit you to fly RNAV 1, then you’re good to go. (I assume you will be flying N-reg, as you don’t have an EASA IR.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 14 Nov 07:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Is this the old PRNAV thing, which was such a threat to GA years ago? This search… digs up various threads about the FAA LoA (almost unobtainable) but all are quite old.

Another thread about the LoA no longer needed. @bookworm may know more.

There is still mandatory training for GPS approaches although not everywhere; Germany has given a dispensation to its pilots.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I found this info:
Easy Access Rules for Air Operations (Regulation (EU) No 965/2012)
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/EasyAccessRules_for_AirOperations-Oct2019.pdf local copy

Page 887 AIRCRAFT ELIGIBILITY FOR PBN SPECIFICATION NOT REQUIRING SPECIFIC APPROVAL

(c) The following documents are considered acceptable sources of information:
(1) AFM, supplements thereto, and documents directly referenced in the AFM;
(h) RNAV 1/RNAV 2
(1) If a statement of compliance with any of the following specifications or standards is found
in the acceptable documentation as listed above, the aircraft is eligible for
RNAV 1/RNAV 2 operations.
(v) FAA AC 90-100A;

The AFMS of the GNS430W states:

The Garmin GNSS navigation system complies with the equipment requirements of AC 90-100A for RNAV 2 and RNAV 1 operations.

With that it seems like a LoA is not needed.

Last Edited by EHAA at 15 Nov 11:46
Netherlands
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message