Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Resources for familiarisation to flying in the US

I’m spending 2 weeks in our NYC office soon and planning to do some flying there. Have a Piggyback licence but never actually flew there. Looking for info on what is done differently over there (procedures / radio / etc).
Thanks!

Read the relevant parts of the AIM. It’s long, but there are many parts that can be skipped entirely. Also, study the charts of the area where you want to fly. You can very easily get them from many sources, the most convenient IMO is SkyVector. If you are only there for a short time, a free trial of ForeFlight will be enough as an EFB.

That’s how I prepared for this trip as a low-time pilot.

P.S.: Remember that VFR flight plans are submitted to, opened by and closed by flight service stations, not ATC. Use flight following whenever possible.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

It’s a pattern, not a circuit.

I am sure you are aware but you need to check your BFR is current. Obvioulsy you can get that done in the States but it will add to the time.

Not withstanding you will almost certainly need the usual check out with the “rental” company. It is also well worth checking out their specific requirments and procedures before you go, in terms of what paperwork they will need. It all just saves time when you arrive.

If you havent flown in the States before you will not find there are a huge number of differences. Having just come back each time I always find it takes a short time to get accustom to AT. They tend to speak more quickly and of course they dont speak English :-) – or is it the accent!

The airspace is a little different so that is well worth a review. Airports are often larger and more complex. If you are uncertain usually you can avail yourself of progressive taxi or flight following which are wonderful services if in doubt.

Away from the large airports it is all very tranquil. However the large interntional airports, much as here, while a great deal more accomodating, do expect you to be on your game and often prefer IFR flight plans. A thorough brief before and a little more careful planning is a sensible strategy.

You will almost certainly require a check flight of some sort, so this is a good opportunity of a review with the local instructor. If you are current and comfortable with the aircraft, a short check flight should do the trick as long as you dont get someone who wants to turn it into a full blown BFR. However if you are not comfortable or current it is usually obvious and dont be surprised if the check out is more involved – I guess no different that here.

Oh and you will often find that while frequencies are passed and confirmed very often they are without reference to the name of the “station” to which you are being transferred, so it is worth thinking about in advance who you are going to / are expecting to talk to.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Dont forget you are legally obliged to carry photo ID with you in the States to support your card, so you should keep your passport in your flight bag. You will aslo often get asked for sight of your licence at FBOs at large airports, unless you are wearing your uniform, when they dont seem to bother. What a uniform does. :-)

Thanks all.
I haven’t ever done a BFR but according to the examiner who signed my papers, I only need it after 2 years of issue (it has been less than one). Guess I’ll just email the people / instructor i’m going to rent out as they probably don’t care about what my examiner said, and I care about them checking me out!

For simple flights, does skydemon / Gamin pilot work well enough, or should I really get the Foreflight trial?

Yes, you already have a BFR so that is all well and good. The advantage of having a BFR is much of the content of a BFR is not repeated in a check out and you can concentrate on other areas. The check flight really shouldnt be a mini BFR. On the other hand of course if there are aspects of the BFR with which you are not comfortable then of course this is well worth review. In my experience if you did your BFR in Europe they do tend to be rather different in terms of the content and lack the theoretical review of airspace, preflight planning etc in the States and you may find if you have never flown State side these are areas which will be knew to you.

Skydemon is fine. Personally I use EasyVFR for every day planning in the States, but they all do much the same job as long as the database is current.

I know it is totally obvious but keep in mind that the basic flying in the States or for that matter any where in the world is of course the same, strangely it is easy to think it should be different. All that changes is some of the procedural stuff. If you are happy and current on type it is a doddle, if you are not, there is a chance your lack of currency will be exposed and added to your lack of familiarity with the procedural stuff will take a little more time to settle in. So if you do get some basic handling stuff thrown at you in the check flight relax and just get on with it as you would here and demonstrate that you can handle the aircraft. I think the only real differenence is sometimes they are keen on you demonstrating power on stalls so be ready for that.

Noe wrote:

I haven’t ever done a BFR but according to the examiner who signed my papers, I only need it after 2 years of issue (it has been less than one).

You need to do one before exercising the privileges of your 61.75.

If you havent flown in the States before you will not find there are a huge number of differences. Having just come back each time I always find it takes a short time to get accustom to AT. They tend to speak more quickly and of course they dont speak English :-) – or is it the accent!

I completely agree.

The airspace is a little different so that is well worth a review. Airports are often larger and more complex. If you are uncertain usually you can avail yourself of progressive taxi or flight following which are wonderful services if in doubt.

Agree on both. You do not want to bust airspace or make taxi mistakes at the larger airports. They are very busy and you are likely to find yourself face to face with a Gulfstream. Flight following is easy and worth doing. ATC also tend to be more helpful once outside of the NY area. Make sure you do the Hudson low level sightseeing route.

Dont forget you are legally obliged to carry photo ID with you in the States to support your card, so you should keep your passport in your flight bag. You will aslo often get asked for sight of your licence at FBOs at large airports, unless you are wearing your uniform, when they dont seem to bother. What a uniform does. :-)

I have never been asked for my certificate at an FBO and I certainly don’t wear a uniform. Maybe I just seem authoritative. :)

EGTK Oxford

Noe wrote:

For simple flights, does skydemon / Gamin pilot work well enough, or should I really get the Foreflight trial?

Do get Foreflight. It uses the real sectionals and is much more intuitive than other products.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

JasonC – I didnt know that, do they give you a 61.75 without a BFR. Thinking about it, I guess so and then you need the BFR?

I have only been asked at the very large FBO’s where there are a lot of passengers and crew milling around. For example at Miami Int. a few weeks ago which is full of Gulfstreams, paying passengers on golf outings and crew. Understanbly there is some contol exercised on who wanders out onto the tarmac, or that seemed to be how it worked.

I’ve seen so many opinions that I get confused and will abide by what the people there want, little point in arguing with them as ultimately they would be the ones renting me the plane. Given I’ve never flown in the US, and haven’t flown a 172 / PA28 in a while, it seems like the BFR would likely be a good “lesson” and blending it with a checkout doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me.

54 Posts
Sign in to add your message