Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Refund on insurance for last year, due to the fact that I hardly flew....

I had an interesting discussion with my insurance broker a week ago. He had sent me the renewal for the coming year (very pricey) and we spoke about the fact that I had had my plane insured for ground risks only for part of the past year, but then I changed it to include flight risks when lockdown was eased some months ago, and had not put it back to ground-only risks later. My broker said to me “Send me your logbook entries, and I’ll see what I can do.” A day or so later he came back to me with the good news that the insurers had decided to credit back my flight risk premium for the whole continuous period since the date of my last flight in August 2020. This was no small sum and it represented what I thought was exceptional service. I’ve not seen an insurer agree to refund premiums for past periods before, in any circumstances.

If you have a similar empty logbook to mine, you may wish to call your broker to try to get a similar credit.

Howard

p.s. my empty logbook was also the result of some severe ill health, and that may have swayed the broker and insurer too, but it didn’t seem like that during the calls.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Someone I know had their plane on ground risk only for a large part of last year as the airfield was closed. Apparently the premium increased this year, and the underwriter (or broker) was not keen at all to continue offering ground risk only in 2021. Only anecdotal evidence, but it sounds like you were lucky.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Some well known UK brokers have been gouging the market. I recommend getting a quote from Visicover. I expect this is due to re insurance capacity and some providers have capacity allocated, others not.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message