Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Radio & intercom difficulties

Not having a fantastic understanding of how things work, thought I would solicit advice on the following:

1. When using one of my radios (Com 2) there is a volume imbalance between my transmission (deafening in my headset) and how I hear the responses (normal). If I turn the radio volume down to make my own transmissions less oppressive, then the responses become so quiet as to be almost inaudible. This does not happen with Com 1.

2. My passenger says that she can hear me over the intercom fine (and I can hear her fine), and she can hear me transmitting on the radio fine, but that the responses from ATC are so quiet as to be inaudible to her.

Thoughts?

Note that we do not have separate intercom volume and squelch controls. One volume knob and one squelch knob does both front seats (and presumably the rear ones too).

These problems are both new. The headset combination has also been used in the past without problems.

EGLM & EGTN

What units are you talking about ? There are ways of adjusting the output from the audio & sidetone from radios but without knowing the type of radio it is imposable to point you in the right direction.

Sorry, as follows:

Audio Panel: KMA24
Com 1: GNS 430
Com 2: KX155 (the one with the volume imbalance as described above)

EGLM & EGTN

It sounds a bit like a sidetone issue with the KX155, Peter has a pile of manuals that would probably point you towards the adjustment pot for this .

I think the setting is indeed called a “sidetone”.

I have the same problem in my plane, although it isn’t obvious until I start doing sound recording from an unused headset socket. My speech produces a much stronger signal than ATC. But it doesn’t sound like that to me. Both radios do it. Maybe I should take a look at it… it is a hassle with recordings because I have to record at a lower level to avoid clipping and then lift the quieter bits in a sound editor.

I do have a vast collection of manuals but you can find the KX155 IM e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message