Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quick trip report - Girona (LEGE) to Oxford (EGTK)

Just thought I would write up briefly my return from Girona after a quick weekend trip to Barcelona.

The trip is (given the wind) at about the range I like to do as a maximum which is around 3 hours flying time. Because the turbine fuel consumption largely stays the same per nm whatever speed you fly at (unless really slow), you just go full speed when able.

The route was pretty direct.

672nm expecting to use 830lb of Jet-A1.

Planning to cross a front in Normandy.

The night before.

Crossing the Pyrenees

Saw Air France 842 approaching to the east of Rennes on ADS-B.

It was quite close (picture makes it look further). Interestingly, the French always seem happy for aircraft to be closer in the flight levels than any other country and never provide traffic info.

Crossing the front. A non event at FL280.

At least with SynVis you can pretend you can see the ground.

The weather improved drastically over England (rare to be able to say that!). Here approaching the Isle of Wight, cliffs in view.

London was having a busy Sunday afternoon.

Landed after 2:50 flying time with 800lbs of fuel used. RR forecast was on the money.

EGTK Oxford

Jason may be going to Barcelona in the Cub, so it will make a fun comparison.

Any reason why you did not use Sabadell?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The weather on arrival was forecast to be quite poor. It was fine but Girona was only 50 mins drive. Also it was straight in and out, no stuffing about for El Prat traffic.

In the past in summer I have not wanted a MTOW departure at 35 degrees from Sabadell as it is a little tight in those conditions.

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Jan 17:43
EGTK Oxford

Robert, I once was at Sabadell, it seemed a rather “uppish” place – even if the restaurant was extremely good value for money. But for a Cub, wouldn’t there be more affordable fields near La Barca?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan you are right, there seem to be half a dozen gliding/LSA airfields in the vicinity. I will have cleared customs in France, so any suggestion of a friendly grass airfield near Barca would be appreciated!

Minimum 300 metres being OK.

Robert, might take you a little longer in the Cub but I am sure the trip will be more fun!

EGTK Oxford

Sorry, Robert, I’m afraid I have no more real life experience to offer. The one thing I find is this link but I can’t be sure it is up to date – anything found there should be verified by e-mail or, likely more effective, by phone call.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Robert, I would go to Sabadell anyway. Much easier (nearer) to get to the city center from there, and landing/parking fees are not so high. Around 12 or 13 euros (VAT included) for the landing and around 18 for each day of parking. Unless you plan to spend there several days, the cost is very affordable.

If you still want to avoid LELL, You have Igualada LEIG, with a 750m apshalt runway. But you can expect at least a 1h taxi ride to Barcelona center, costing more than 100€ per trip. There are several other options in a 60 km radius from Barcelona, but they are ULM-only fields.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Very nice, Coolhand; local info is always to be preferred. What do you think about the link I posted, is it more or less reliable or does the www host better indexes of aerodromes in Spain?

Last Edited by at 18 Jan 19:20
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan helpful link.

Coolhand any of the ULM convenient to a train station? the rail network round Barca being quite good.

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message