Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Proposed AD on Piper PA28 and PA32 - spar corrosion - SB1345

here

The picture looks exactly like the Socata elevator corrosion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
always learning
LO__, Austria

Searching the lesser used parts of my memory I seem to recall that the UK CAA mandated fitting these inspection holes in PA-28 aircraft so there is a good chance that this will not be an issue for owners of older UK registered aircraft . ( please feel free to correct me if what I recall from cobweb corner is incorrect ).

Last Edited by A_and_C at 02 Apr 16:41

Snoopy wrote:

Is this an AD?

no it is a service bulletin. private owners do not have to follow service bulletins unless FAA or EASA publishes an AD referencing to mandatory application of this Piper SB

Switzerland

This one has come back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This:

Is a photo I took at the maintenance shop’s request, of a 1967 Piper PA-28R-180 spar. They were seeking my assistance in approving a repair for the corrosion area. Though I did not tell them it could not be done, I did recommend that before repairing that area was considered, the entire spar be inspected for corrosion, because if it was there, it was elsewhere too. The owner instead sold the plane for scrap (I knew who bought it), and it never flew again.

Corrosion is a real concern on these legacy planes, and good inspections are necessary – particularly pre purchase!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

If you own a metal aircraft then you need a corrosion prevention program of inspections that go beyond the standard annual check and to be using some sort of compounds to prevent corrosion. The Cessna SIDS document gives a list of these compounds that Cessna approves and I am sure all of them work very well, I have used CorrosionX with great success in the past but the message is do nothing and the chances are you will spend a lot more money curing the problem than you would preventing it.

Speaking of corrosion inhibitants, whatever became of Dinitrol AV8? Any reasonable source in Europe?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message