Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PR1221 sealant (TKS installation) - also CS3201 and CS3204

This is required for the TKS installation but nobody this side of the sea seems to have any. Does anyone know of a source?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Try
Shildon – PPG Aerospace Sealants and Coatings
Darlington Road
Shildon, County Durham DL4 2QP
United Kingdom
Phone
+44 01388 772541
Not used them before but one of the PPG Distributers

EGHH, Near EGVO

Hmmm, many thanks Martin. They say it was made obsolete many years ago. So, another CAV skeleton – this stuff is sooo ancient I am emailing CAV – the STC holder. I am sure the common PR1422 will do just fine but it is good to use the very best because there are major corrosion issues with installations where the fluied (or just any water) gets behind the titanium strips. I know of companies which just clean up the visible corrosion and paint it over, leaving the hidden stuff in place – I have some photos of it! I don’t want that in the future.

Edit: they don’t deal with the great unwashed directly so put me onto one of their distis who … has never heard of 1221. However I found this cross-reference.

Privateflyer – do you suggest I buy that TB with TKS, and peel the sealant off, dissolve it and re-use it?

Administrator

I seem to remember from my days maintaining Boeing’s that we used PR1436 for sealing around windscreens and such things, it was corrosion resistant and might be more suitable if you think there is a corrosion issue.

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

I think it needs the best possible adhesion to titanium and aluminium, and obviously needs the temp range, so down to -40C or so.

Administrator

Some of the Light Aircraft suppliers, LAS Aerospace, seem to recognise the EC1063 number but no stock.
PR1422 brings back memories of HS125 tank sealing (and it worked on Lotus Elan body shells but that’s another story)
I know they used to have a shelf life so it is unlikely stockists would get much in if it wasn’t used.

EGHH, Near EGVO

Peter – the cross reference you quote would seem to be the best starting point – i.e. you are after a sealant to MIL-S-7124

Chemseal 3201 appears to meet the spec and is relatively commonly available. It comes in two viscosities for brushing or spreading.

I assume this is for glueing the TKS strips onto the leading edge. You are right that you don’t want corrosion behind. I had a couple of spots under the old boots on my Twincom. When I replaced the boots I had to have some metal cut away and have the surface made good with flush repairs. The maintenance firm did a staggeringly good job, BTW. Rubber boots are peelable by softening the adhesive with MEK. The sort of sealant you are referring to here is a two part and once cured is probably insoluble.

This chart gives a clue as to why 1221 is probably long discontinued.

Why don’t you phone up a manufacturer who sells aircraft with TKS e.g. Cirrus, Diamond and ask them what they use, or ask for repair data?

Well, yes, all the really effective sealants and paints are toxic

I got this from PPG:

PR1440A & B are standard technology
PR1770A & B are advanced technology

I don’t think they understood the question. 1770 is also too liquid. 1440 looks interesting.

Nobody here seems to keep Chemseal 3201 but in any case CAV are supposed to confirm it, AIUI.

These are all basically slightly different fuel tank sealants – unless I am missing something basic.

Administrator

I got this from CAV:

We use the CS3201 and CS3204 you found. I’m attaching a cross reference sheet so that you can find the best match.

here

The Q is: 3201 or 3204?

I got this:

We usually use CS3204 B2 for the panel adhesion and stall strip adhesion and CS3201 B1/2 for the edge seal.

I reckon…….. having watched some youtube TKS installation videos……. all the 3rd party installers for the last many years just used PR1422 for the whole lot

3204 (or PR1422) is grey, 3201 is black, so all the “wrong” jobs will show a grey bead. Lots of those about. The “right” ones will show a black bead. The factory SR22 installs I have seen had a black bead.

Administrator
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message