Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Posting stuff which may result in a legal action against EuroGA (and promoting businesses which have threatened to sue EuroGA)

From here

When [a company I used] did the (3 day) prebuy on my SR22 they checked every single system of the plane and I got a detailled report about really everything. They also checked the SW and versions and modification status of every single device, and of course all SBs.

I edited above post to remove the name of the company because their MD threatened legal action against EuroGA after some negative stuff was posted here a while ago.

It would be simply wrong to publicise positively a company on which nobody can comment negatively and truthfully. This is an issue all forums struggle with, of course.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have not written ANYTHING negative about “xyz”, only POSITIVE, so what is the reason to delete the name.

(PS: Nobody can sue a website when a user of that website reports his personal experience* with a company. That has been confirmed by many courts.)

*bad review has to be based on facts

(edited)

Last Edited by at 05 Jul 09:39

Alexis, you don’t “get it”.

Administrator

So, please explain a) why a company would want to sue you after I leave a very positive remark about them and b) on what basis you could be sued when you write something bad about them.

Always happy to learn something new.

Last Edited by at 05 Jul 09:38

You still don’t “get it” Alexis. Read my post #2 again.

As regards negative stuff about that company, well… I could post a really damning report (£12k of my own money spent) but the above might identify them. Plus stuff posted on EuroGA previously by others.

Sorry, but there are some (currently only 2) businesses which we are simply not going to advertise on EuroGA, because of their conduct and their explicit legal threats.

You may have been lucky, or your “they checked every single system of the plane” comment could just be blind trust since you were not in a position to verify it anyway.

David and I don’t need the hassle and EuroGA is a free aviation resource which doesn’t have any money to engage lawyers. If you Alexis want to deposit say €100k into a bank account for EuroGA (for a kind of goldenballs fund) then by all means feel free to challenge this. In the meantime enjoy this nice and free forum

Administrator

Alexis wrote:

So, please explain a) why a company would want to sue you after I leave a very positive remark about them and b) on what basis you could be sued when you write something bad about them.

What Peter means is that a company that threatens to sue EuroGA after reading some negative comments on the forum, doesn’t deserve having positive comments posted. (To which I agree.)

(PS: Nobody can sue a website when a user of that website reports his personal experience* with a company. That has been confirmed by many courts.)

That may be true in Germany and is also true in Sweden, but the laws in England are different and more favourable to the plaintiff. I understand there was a change in the libel laws recently, but even so defending yourself in a UK court may be more hassle than it’s worth. In Sweden you could more or less give the finger to any such attempts to sue — there is absolutely no way it would hold up in court.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In Sweden you could more or less give the finger to any such attempts to sue — there is absolutely no way it would hold up in court.

Maybe move EuroGA to Swedish servers then?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

In Sweden you could more or less give the finger to any such attempts to sue — there is absolutely no way it would hold up in court.

Obviously I am not a lawyer, let alone a libel lawyer in Germany or Sweden, but the above cannot possibly be true as stated because it would make it possible for somebody to e.g. set up a website containing very specific defamatory material against a very specific person and damage their professional reputation and thus their source of income, and the subject could do nothing about it. That would be totally unfair and contrary to justice.

For example any student who failed their univ final exams could destroy their former lecturers by posting specific allegations about them having done fake research, covertly funded by industry interests (which, like sexual allegations, is quite often true anyway so would be instantly credible), etc, etc. Throw in a few photoshopped photos of the guy “doing stuff” with his secretary…

Hence I simply don’t believe these claims for a moment.

the laws in England are different and more favourable to the plaintiff.

The UK might well have a more fair justice system

even so defending yourself in a UK court may be more hassle than it’s worth.

With Alexis paying say €100k, that would cover about 10 days of expert defence, in most of Europe And that is the real issue. Anybody “big” can use the legal system to squash you, and this can be done anywhere in Europe.

FWIW, in the UK, one can post most things on a forum provided the publisher agrees to take it down upon receiving a demand to do so. That is a necessary principle otherwise all websites and social media would collapse. But we still don’t want the hassle.

We actually want industry posters to participate here, because a lot of the time they are the only people with a useful input to make. Hence we have very generous advertising concessions (general forum participation, basically – even that, most of them don’t want to do because it is too much effort, hence I periodically delete adverts). However, attracting industry posters is difficult because there is so much bad work and bad service being done in GA that everybody working in the industry is very sensitive to any discussion of it.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Obviously I am not a lawyer, let alone a libel lawyer in Germany or Sweden, but the above cannot possibly be true as stated because it would make it possible for somebody to e.g. set up a website containing very specific defamatory material against a very specific person and damage their professional reputation and thus their source of income, and the subject could do nothing about it. For example any student who failed their univ final exams could destroy their former lecturers by posting specific allegations about them having done fake research, covertly funded by industry interests (which, like sexual allegations, is quite often true anyway so would be instantly credible), etc, etc.

Obviously I am not a lawyer either, but there is of course a major difference between criticizing a company and criticizing an individual. Even so, if what you claim is true and in the public interest it would be unlikely for an individual to win such a court case.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message