Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please help me understand what just happened, almost an in flight fire? with footage.

But given the absence so far of any source for a spark, a reflection is at least as plausible as a meteorite strike…

I still say that a static discharge (like tiny ball lightning) is the most likely explanation.
EGKB Biggin Hill

A micrometeorite, say a few mm across, will be far too slow in the lower atmosphere to penetrate anything. It will be doing the terminal velocity; most likely below 100kt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The reaction is clear, as is the sound, so of course it happened. And on video, all we can see is the dot against the background, while AleNovo was there and could see the real path.

But given the absence so far of any source for a spark, a reflection is at least as plausible as a meteorite strike…

Biggin Hill

Can’t be reflection as he saws it with his eyes while flying, given his reaction I doubt that video is made up, but no need to get this into “NASA news” section of the DailyMail where they blame everything on LHC microscopic black-holes ;)

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 22:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

How about something completely different – could it bee a reflection of some sort? The bright dot moves in a strange way, down then left and then forward again, not quite the way I would expect a falling spark to move.

But then again – maybe it was ball lightning as suggested above. i always thought it was BS, but after reading the wikipedia article, I am not sure…

Biggin Hill

You should have checked the exterior of the airplane, for signs of a micrometeorite impact.

LRIA, Romania

You were hit by a mini meteorite ;-)) !! No, seriously, this is too weird. Unfortunately your camera only captured the spark already in mid-air. The frame before it looks perfectly normal.

Hi, thanks for your replies.
ive manage to extract every frame from the video, you can see them here:
https://ibb.co/album/dj26Qa

at frame 76 you can see the “spark” for the first time, however, between frames 71-72-73 you can see a shadow on the same area
do someone else can spot anything strange?

Also, in the original video audio you can clearly hear the pop before the “spark” falls

United Kingdom

i was at 9,000 ft and no airfield was close. i even thought on landing on a random field on the event the fabric on the airplane caught fire, or there was an electrical fire. I was ready to switch off the master.
That did not happened and i took a close look to the area where the spark came of until i landed about 20 minutes later at my home airport.

United Kingdom

What happens after, did you land/divert? or continue flight?

(I guess ASAP with real fire is 3min if you are lucky)

Seems like static electricity accentuated by dimmer lights in your cockpit?
I have NorthFace jacket that makes a whole lights show by night when I get out of the car

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Aug 19:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message