Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please help me understand what just happened, almost an in flight fire? with footage.

You were hit by a mini meteorite ;-)) !! No, seriously, this is too weird. Unfortunately your camera only captured the spark already in mid-air. The frame before it looks perfectly normal.

You should have checked the exterior of the airplane, for signs of a micrometeorite impact.

LRIA, Romania

How about something completely different – could it bee a reflection of some sort? The bright dot moves in a strange way, down then left and then forward again, not quite the way I would expect a falling spark to move.

But then again – maybe it was ball lightning as suggested above. i always thought it was BS, but after reading the wikipedia article, I am not sure…

Biggin Hill

Can’t be reflection as he saws it with his eyes while flying, given his reaction I doubt that video is made up, but no need to get this into “NASA news” section of the DailyMail where they blame everything on LHC microscopic black-holes ;)

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 22:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The reaction is clear, as is the sound, so of course it happened. And on video, all we can see is the dot against the background, while AleNovo was there and could see the real path.

But given the absence so far of any source for a spark, a reflection is at least as plausible as a meteorite strike…

Biggin Hill

A micrometeorite, say a few mm across, will be far too slow in the lower atmosphere to penetrate anything. It will be doing the terminal velocity; most likely below 100kt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But given the absence so far of any source for a spark, a reflection is at least as plausible as a meteorite strike…

I still say that a static discharge (like tiny ball lightning) is the most likely explanation.
EGKB Biggin Hill
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message