Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pitts S2B/S2C or Cap10 wanted - casting a wide net...

10 Posts

Hi all,
I’m looking to purchase a Pitts S2B or S2C. Ideally, the Pitts would have a low-time engine and is in immaculate or close to immaculate state. 3-bladed low-time prop would also be great but not essential. Alternatively, a Mudry Cap10 with the C-wing and similar details as above will also be of interest.
Send me a PM if interested in discussing further. Thanks for reading!
F

Life is not a dress rehearsal, it is ...
EBGB KGAI, Belgium

@itsdescend any reason for the Lycoming 540 version of the Pitts? Probably better if your planning to compete, but the smaller engine 2A might be more practical for instructing.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Very true. But the added HP makes aerobatics and maintaining altitude a bit easier. I have flown the 2A and enjoyed it but I prefer to have a bit more power available these days… It also felt a bit smaller than an S2B. I’m quite tall but I’m not sure if that was just in my head or if the S2A is indeed a bit smaller inside…

Last Edited by Itsdescendnotgodown at 29 Mar 18:49
EBGB KGAI, Belgium

@itsdescend they should be similar, although they may have slightly different canopies. The S2A is OK at Sport or Intermediate and will manage a Mulleroid if required, which requires a fair bit of vertical penetration. The heavier 540 and higher fuel consumption does have an effect on payload and handling (gyroscopics for one), but this is based on hearsay!

I expect it is easier to find an immaculate 2B or 2C than a workhorse 2A. Remember the Pitts old saw, the first one thousand hours on type are the hardest.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I have a few hundred hours in a B. 30 minutes in an A, which was 30 minutes too much.

I flew the B to its limits and beyond. I only flew the A because a friend who had one wanted some instruction. I sat in the front, very small compared to the B and a horrible upright seat that killed my back. B has a huge amount of room in the front, and OK amount in the back, even if you are very tall.

The B is a much nicer flying airplane. Lot better balanced, much more positive controls. The B flys a lot better if you do the tail trim mod (lightens up the elevator considerably).

I would say the B is well worth the extra fuel burn.

Never flew the C. Supposedly improved on the B in several aspects.

Still looking for an owner willing to part with their precious…

EBGB KGAI, Belgium

Itsdescendnotgodown wrote:

Pitts S2B

Itsdescendnotgodown wrote:

Mudry Cap10

Bit surprised at your candidates… have a few hours in Cap10s, and unfortunately only a few minutes in a S2B (260hp version). I’d say the 10 is a good trainer, but vastly underpowered when 2 on board… outside loop on a hot summer day…
On the other hand the S2B is magnificent, see hammer’s comments above.

Pitts Model 12 would be the one to aim for, 2 of them on the market, one in the UK and one in CH..
https://www.planecheck.com/aspdet.asp?nr=49857
https://www.planecheck.com/aspdet.asp?nr=50518

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Pitts model 12 makes me salivate but I’m unsure about the rules of a homebuilt in Belgium and how to register it for maximum freedom to fly in Europe. Any thoughts?

EBGB KGAI, Belgium

Does anyone know of an off-market CAP10 for sale ? Any wing/condition. Dm me if you can help.

Belgium

DeeCee “I’d say the 10 is a good trainer, but vastly underpowered when 2 on board… outside loop on a hot summer day…”
Yes I would agree that the Cap10 makes a very good trainer and so would many of the current crop of Europe’s and the world’s top aerobatic pilots, most of whom were trained in one.
The Cap10 is still very successful in the 2 seater French aerobatic championships placing 3rd amongst a whole range of much more powerful and modern aircraft. The last time it was held at LFFK the temperature at the airfield was 30°C plus. 2 CAP 10’s both flown by female pilots were placed 3rd and 5th in the general category.
Not bad for a 50 year old design which has not changed much over the years.

France
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message