Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot Apps?

I agree with you Timothy About the ADL120, just down to Biarritze last Sunday and was showing lots of Red and lightning strikes, all updated on route, and the same today coming to Cannes. Pitty the graphics are so blocky compared to the Garmin pilot .

Pitty the graphics are so blocky compared to the Garmin pilot .

While I agree there are interface areas that could be improved, remember that you pay for higher radar resolution with higher data costs.

EGTK Oxford

Quite. I am perfectly happy with the “blockiness” as it is achieved at very low data cost.

I reckon that most active cells are at least 2×2 blocks, so it really doesn’t matter.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Pitty the graphics are so blocky compared to the Garmin pilot.

The ADLConnect displays the data as it is. Some apps do smoothing of radar images (e.g. ForeFlight). This might look better at first sight but remember this means the data displayed has been altered by a smoothing algorithm some programmer invented on his desk. So most probably the real information content of the radar image has been reduced while making it look nicer.

The ADL120 can load data in three resolutions. Low quality is 4×4NM pixels, medium quality 2×2NM and high quality 1×1NM. High quality is only available for a radius of about 100NM around the current position in order to reduce transmission costs. I think in real life this works very well. Taking into account the delay of ground based radar, in my personal opinion more resolution makes little practical sense (but I agree it looks nice )

I reckon that most active cells are at least 2×2 blocks, so it really doesn’t matter.

If the underlying radar source offers more resolution than the resolution you see in the aircraft (depends on the geographic region) the ADL system is set up so the final pixel you see is the worst of the underlying pixels. So you do not risk to miss out on any cells due to scaling even on the lowest resolution.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thank you for the explanation Sebastian, as I said at the start though an excellent piece of kit. Also gave me more confidence to do longer flight legs of around 600nm

ADL120 is a must have for the IFR private pilot…
It takes away a lot of stress while flying in situations where the weather is anything less then CAVOK

Does anybody know which app provides current information about recent changes (NOTAMS) in the EU airspace (temp. restrictions, limitations etc.) and which one do you think has the most accurate information overall (terrain, obstacles, airfields/airports, airspace)?

Last Edited by igor at 18 Feb 10:03
Czech Republic

igor wrote:

Does anybody know which app provides current information about recent changes (NOTAMS) in the EU airspace (temp. restrictions, limitations etc.) and which one do you think has the most accurate information overall (terrain, obstacles, airfields/airports, airspace)?

Typically this is not a ‘one app fits it all’ answer, but a combination of several sources. The textual information you get from the official sources, NOTAMs airspace restrictions temporary changes trigger NOTAMs, you name it. Also, there are only very few suppliers of consolidated terrain, obstacles, airfield information etceteras, so it does not matter onto which app the data is projected, source is usually more or less the same.

In the end it is a matter of your feeling preference, but – none of the available moving map apps will be sufficient to serve as a one stop source. You always have to check official sources, you have to phone unknown airfields on special requirements they may have, you have to make yourself comfortable with the airspaces you pass. I am using moving map apps almost since they became available and change them once one gets a little advantage over another. But, I ended in always keeping two apps subscriptions actual to get a better coverage of data.

Which area and what mission profile do you intend to cover?

Last Edited by at 18 Feb 11:42

igor wrote:

For VFR in Europe there is only one app to use, SkyDemon.

Probably also EasyVFR but I don’t like it, it is extremely cluttered.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

also EasyVFR but I don’t like it, it is extremely cluttered.

So use the settings to de-clutter it!

Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message