Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oil pressure variation with RPM

On a couple of long flights, my passenger spotted something I never noticed: the oil pressure is noticeably lower (5-10% in absolute terms) at 2575rpm (the TB20 max) than at 2400rpm (the typical cruise).

I wonder what the physical explanation for this might be.

Perhaps one is that the oil pressure controller is at one end of the oil gallery, and the oil pressure sensor is at the other end of it, and I would expect a bearing rotating at a greater speed to be passing more oil.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe your pump is cavitating, thus less, not more oil is being pumped ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think LeSavng might have a point in that the oil is foaming more at high RPM resulting in more air in the oil.

This is pure educate speculation and not fact, what I will do is ask a guy know who is in the automotive engine test business if he has any input that would relate to this happening.

The oil entering the pump is coming from the sump and won’t be aware of the engine rpm. So I reckon this is a real pressure drop caused by a higher oil consumption of bearings rotating faster.

Administrator

Is this in conjunction with higher oil temp ? It happens like that “normaly”.

LGGG

I don’t think so because the effect has a time constant of seconds.

However I need to do a flight on which I test this properly and perhaps get a video.

Administrator

The oil temp never moved at all :-)

EGLM & EGTN

The oil entering the pump is coming from the sump and won’t be aware of the engine rpm.

But the pump is, and so is the sump. The pump is a constant volumetric pump: the volumetric flow is only dependent on the RPM of the engine.

This has potentially two adverse effects.

1. less time for the oil in the sump to separate (that’s what the sump is, an oil-gas separator)
  2. potential for cavitation at the inlet of the pump (so much suction that vapor is formed).

Both these effects are easily solved with more oil volume in the sump. It is therefore very easy to check, just fill up to max and check. I would believe the first one to be the most likely, bit you never know.

With a constant volumetric pump I don’t see how pressure could go down with increased rpm, unless maybe the pressure regulator is broken somehow?

Last Edited by LeSving at 20 Jun 10:43
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

With a constant volumetric pump I don’t see how pressure could go down with increased rpm

That is true but after the pump there is a spring loaded pressure control valve, which feeds supposedly a constant pressure (not constant volume per second) oil to the oil galleries.

Then, if the galleries consume more oil, the pressure will fall IF measured somewhere far down the road from the pressure control valve.

Obviously if the pressure was measured right after the pressure control valve it would (should) be totally constant, but then arguably the pressure gauge would be somewhat useless because it would show a perfect pressure until a second after the oil all disappears Well, that’s what the oil temperature gauge gives you

There was plenty of oil – about 9 quarts. The engine is burning very little nowadays.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Then, if the galleries consume more oil,

What would make them do that? (not saying they aren’t, just wondering how)

There is also the prop governor. I don’t know the details of that, but presumably oil could in theory leak from high pressure side to low pressure side. How much depends on the exact position?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message