Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Homebuilt regulations UK CAA letter 12/20

Cobalt wrote:

That special attitude takes two forms

1. the tenacity to meticulously research what permissions are required, and where necessary obtain prior permission for flights abroad, and accept the somewhat arbitrary restrictions that are sometimes imposed (e.g., day VFR only)
  2. the willingness to ignore the required permissions and go anyway, and accept the risks that come with that.

Maybe, but very black and white. It’s more a representation of the theoretical extremes, not necessarily the reality. It seems to be the case only in the UK by the looks of it, where every little detail has to be written explicitly on a piece of paper. Other places put more emphasis on, let’s say freedom and airmanship, common sense. Looking at that CAA note, there is nothing like that in the Nordic countries. Those arbitrary restrictions doesn’t exist, and that’s also the case at most other places.

This UK centric way of looking at things, just doesn’t work elsewhere. It isn’t applicable.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

only in the UK by the looks of it, where every little detail has to be written explicitly on a piece of paper.

Other places put more emphasis on, let’s say freedom and airmanship, common sense

This UK centric way of looking at things, just doesn’t work elsewhere. It isn’t applicable.

LeSving, have you ever flown (GA) outside Norway?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

LeSving, have you ever flown (GA) outside Norway?

What has that got to do with anything? Where else can you similar “instructions” as that UK note?. But yes. I have flown lots of gliding and TMG in Belgium. That’s were I learned to fly before going SEP later. Have you ever flown in in Scandinavia? I mean actually flown, not just autopilot to/from commercial airports in sunshine?

It doesn’t seem you like any input except your own opinion on this anyway, so what’s the use.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What has that got to do with anything?

It’s a response to your constant swipes at “UK centric” this and that.

Administrator

Well, I don’t like the constant nagging about flying anything other than an ICAO plane (IFR or VFR or whatever) requires flying “under the radar”, or bending the rules, or simply don’t caring about any rules or regulations at all. There is a pattern to it though. The nagging always comes from a few guys from the UK lecturing everybody else. Even when I present solid documentation from a Spanish guy flying across the poles in his heavily modified, IFR capable RV-8 with a Spanish C of A, this somehow isn’t “valid”, or just ignored. Why is that?

Anyway, I’m out of here. Happy new year

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Actually, LeSving, of the three people who picked up your comment about how to not be too worried about the permit requirements, I don’t think any of them is a Brit

Where would one find UK regs on homebuilt privileges by airspace class? Specifically, could one fly an Evolution at FL280, IFR, assuming it is N-reg and thus has no “VFR only” permit restriction?

Administrator
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message