Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Lancair Evolution turboprop in Europe (production moved to Europe)

Wow ! I didn’t know this. So the Evolution becomes a Belgian product, in a way…

EBST, Belgium

But why is the plane so slow? The cabin and the entire plane is so much smaller than a TBM or PA46 I would expect well over 300kt TAS in return.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Is it slower for a TBM fuel burn?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

But why is the plane so slow? The cabin and the entire plane is so much smaller than a TBM or PA46 I would expect well over 300kt TAS in return.

Probably because:
1. It would mean exceeding VNE or generating flutter or anything else related to airframe limitations.
2. Adding some speed would require burning a lot more fuel which would negatively affect range and overall usage of the aircraft.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Austin Meyer (Xplane creator) is an advanced owner of the evolution and made it a good model in the sim, we can may be use as a test bed. It’s not really the same design as TBM or PA46:

• it’s experimental, clean and efficient (glide ratio of 18).
  • It’s light and fast, i e lands and takeoff fast.
  • it’s known (as many lancair) to be flown by the number.

For sure it’s good such plane in Europe, but I wonder how an experimental plane could be certified to do so, as experimental can’t fly IFR, and never over FL195.
(out of topic: this guy is a crazy genious. He creates his own navigation software (in addition to xplane) which shows 3d airspace depiction and can show you the best emergency track to airpart, explains it and show it working from his plane. Have alook at that

Last Edited by greg_mp at 14 Nov 14:06
LFMD, France

Sebastian_G wrote:

well over 300kt TAS in return

Hopefully people able to afford this kind of performance know about mach crossover altitude… for instance the Airbus 320 has a 350kts speed limit before reaching the Mach levels, which occurs at around FL250.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

greg_mp wrote:

this guy is a crazy genious.

LOL, one of the better descriptions. I’ve met him many years ago when he first came out with Xplane. Reading his blogs about the Evolution is also fun.

He creates his own navigation software (in addition to xplane) which shows 3d airspace depiction and can show you the best emergency track to airpart, explains it and show it working from his plane. Have alook at that

XAVION is a great software indeed. Unfortunately Apple only, otherwise I’d have it on board all time already. Some folks who use it call it the next best thing to a parashute.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This may have been posted further back here but (I think it was) Austin who wrote a somewhat scary/critical report on this plane.

We are now years down the road but they had things like the windscreen detaching at FL250 or some such

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This may have been posted further back here but (I think it was) Austin who wrote a somewhat scary/critical report on this plane.

Yep, that is the one.

He also had some rather intense fight with Google about Android, to the point where he doesn’t support it anymore.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Evo is still not properly usable in Europe, unless you are super rich and can pay any fine, or you fly it in airspaces where nobody cares.

AFAICT all the examples flying in Europe are owned by super-rich and well-connected people, and in carefully chosen airspaces.

Administrator
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message