Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

1000-2000hr build times - what percentage of the original kit buyers really complete the job?

It might sound silly but I often wonder whether our old houses are a large part of why homebuilding is less popular in Britain than elsewhere. I can think of any number of people who in their middle ages buy an old farmhouse then spend 20 years renovating it. Only 24% of British houses were built since 1980 and most of them will be pokey little apartments, whereas in parts of the USA the mean housing age is much less and I believe that other European countries also prefer new buildings over old.

Speaking for myself, I live in a terraced house from the early 1900s and I’ve spent much of the last few years removing old electricity pipes (yes, the house had piped electricity!) and installing kitchen cabinets with oh-so-clever little doors in them that I designed so you could still reach the stopcock, but that will keep the mice out of the food cupboards. There’s always something that needs to be done with a greater or lesser degree of urgency, and it’s always complicated because any house of this age has repairs build around bodges built around previous repairs, and nothing quite fits as the walls aren’t square. Compare and contrast this with my Australian relatives who live in a nice big house with a nice big garage, which is only a few decades old and where nothing ever goes wrong.

kwlf wrote:

electricity pipes (yes, the house had piped electricity!)

How does that work?! Care to explain? Never heard of it (or at least not that term).

I’ve no idea what the correct term is, but there were copper wires insulated with fabric dipped in some sort of waxy material. One black, one red. Presumably they didn’t trust the insulation too much, as all the wires ran through iron pipes about 3/4" diameter which I imagine might have been earthed, and probably served to contain any electrical fires. The ends of the pipes are threaded and they screw into junction boxes that have lids that you can take on and off to access the wiring. The pipes were made of soft metal as you can bend them by hand. When the house was rewired, they just left them there. They’re not recessed, and often they run up and down door frames where they are arguably less visible, or have wallpaper over them in a big lump running up the wall.

I’ve seen armoured cable before e.g. in schools where it might be protected between the lightswitch and the ceiling space, but these wires are completely enclosed wherever you find them.

Before there was electricity, there was piped gas and I have a little stock of lead piping that I have rescued whenever I have had the floorboards up. I also have some old sweet tins and candle stubs that I presume were left by workmen in the attic. There are any number of fireplaces, and when I was installing insulation in the attic I first had to sweep up several hundredweight of ash that had settled up there over the years. Some of the old water pipes were insulated with horsehair.

Last Edited by kwlf at 06 Oct 00:15

kwlf wrote:

I’ve no idea what the correct term is, but there were copper wires insulated with fabric dipped in some sort of waxy material. One black, one red. Presumably they didn’t trust the insulation too much, as all the wires ran through iron pipes about 3/4" diameter which I imagine might have been earthed, and probably served to contain any electrical fires. The ends of the pipes are threaded and they screw into junction boxes that have lids that you can take on and off to access the wiring. The pipes were made of soft metal as you can bend them by hand. When the house was rewired, they just left them there. They’re not recessed, and often they run up and down door frames where they are arguably less visible, or have wallpaper over them in a big lump running up the wall.

Ah, these things !! Yep, remember them from way-back-when, especially the ones running along door frames and wallpapered over. Thanks for the enlightenment !

I’m not sure why a house electrical discussion is in this thread but anyway varying grades of steel conduit are in wide use, although in new houses (versus more industrial buildings) equivalent PVC is typically used. All the lighting in my hangar is wired within EMT using steel junction boxes. At home everything is either in no conduit or in PVC, even outside.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Oct 02:33

I think the distinction here is that in a conduit in a wall or hangar or school you are providing a route for the wire either within a wall, or in a way that protects it from accidental damage if it is more exposed. These older ones were used even in places where that would not be an issue. It must have taken an age to put in, and it took ages to take out! Ages that could have been better spent on other things.

Last Edited by kwlf at 06 Oct 06:49

I wonder if you are on to something when you wrote about old gas pipes. IIRC Godalming was the first town in the UK to get electric lighting, and it was originally serviced by gas lighting. People were very suspicious of this thing called electricity at the time so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the electricity wires were pulled through the old gas pipes. They used the same fittings just converting the gas fitting for an electric light bulb.

France

Homebuilding is most definitely a “cultural” thing, which is why one can usually tell well in advance who will finish and who won’t

People were very suspicious of this thing called electricity at the time so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the electricity wires were pulled through the old gas pipes.

I’ve seen a homebuilt which wrapped the wiring around a clear plastic fuel pipe, so yeah that must be where they got the idea from

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Many pilots prefer flying above sitting in their basement or garage drilling holes for rivets.

Thinking about what most private pilots (80-90%) actually do; fly perhaps 2-3 hours per year with an instructor to keep the license “current”, or give up flying entirely, I think the percentage that builds is rather high.

It’s more about building instead of doing all sorts of “other non flying stuff” than building vs flying.

It’s also about setting a goal and achieving that goal. With “pure” private flying there is only a limited numbers of goals you can set that doesn’t involve hours and hours of straight and level. Most have been there, done that, which perhaps is why so few continue flying. Basically a lack of utility I guess? Possibly combined with all planning and “stuff” involved in flying longer distances, cruising straight and level for hours to get to places for no particular reason.

The other route is flying in a more “air work setting” in a broad sence. Lots of goals there. Becoming an instructor, towing gliders, aerobatics, gliding, visiting small fields and so on.

The goal of the majority is some commercial route. Flying for a living is what most pilots do (at least those who fly more than 20-30 hours per year).

Personally I see very little difference in building/flying and other similar hobbies as boating/fixing/mending/building and MC/fixing/maintaining. Cars are different because they are transportation exclusively, for most people at least, with lots of exceptions of course.

As for myself, I have since long been in a position where I can fly much more than I have time to, for free, even earn a little bit. Now we are moving to another house as well, and I have to build myself another shop to build in This will be the third hopefully I will finish my planes. The plan is to eventually build and sell aircraft. The RV-12 or similar seems like a good choice for that, perhaps. We will see. The high wing Sonex also looks perfect.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

unfortunately many misconceptions in this thread… not talking about old housing electrical conduits

Why would somebody in full possession of his faculties build an aircraft in the first place? Different reasons, non-conclusive list:
- love of building things, as mentioned LeSving
- experimenting, maybe even designing one’s own dream ship
- saving money
- achieving better performance
- unavailability of a specific design or performance
- sense of accomplishment
- social engagement in the local chapter or association
- fulfilling occupation
- authorised to fully maintain, modify, and eventually repair one’s own ship

Imagine for a second the magic in that first take-off in an aircraft you built, or assembled, or even designed yourself

Time flies, things are moving along. The Wright Brother’s Flyer was a homebuilt (or experimental as they still are called in the US and other places). From 1930 until the 80’s people were building by means of plans only. Then kits of material for different aircraft started appearing. It wasn’t long before quick-built kits, as they are available today, where the building is assembling pre-drilled sized and bent parts, sometimes even using pop-rivets, were offered. More systems installation than anything else, really.
As for materials, rag & tube was superseded by wood, then composite, today mostly aluminium or modern composites.

I’m a member of the Swiss homebuilder’s association (EAS) since 1984, today active as a builder advisor and Maintenance Manager. I have been something like 15 times to the experimental mekka of Oshkosh, also Sun ’n Fun and Reno, and many European homebuiIt Fly-Ins where I was able to follow the evolution of the movement.

RV specific
Today’s success of the brand is due to the performance of the whole line, and the ease of building. It wasn’t always like this… when I received my RV-4 kit in 1986, 3 huge wooden crates turned-up at my door. Once opened, the only parts giving a cue to the kit’s future were the 2 main wheel rims. The rest was diverse aluminum sheets, angles, some steel parts, some fibreglass stuff. 3’800h later the structure was built (including 3 moves, a house renovation, a different job, a divorce), another 2’000h and the aircraft is flying very nicely, callsign HB-YVZ.
Proof of evolution, as an example, the latest RV-14 kits now come pre-punched to final size, and by ordering a quick-built kit you will get wings and a fuselage structure that is basically built. The joy of deciphering the plans and detecting the mistakes, or make-up for the omissions is now gone. An assembly guide akin to the one provided when you buy a piece of Ikea furniture is now provided. Systems installation will follow and another sign of evolution is now visible: Whereas the 1990 builder equipped his homebuilt with a a couple of basic instruments for VFR flight, today’s machine sports full glass panels, redundant systems, autopilot, ice machine and more.

Why an RV? Well, my advice, have a go in one
Van’s Aircraft call the line “Total Performance”…
I will only use my own ship for the following description. HB-YLL is officially an RV-6 (sans letter A meaning the sissy wheel is in the right spot, e.g. at the rear), first flight in 2005. It was meticulously built by a professional aircraft technician. A decertified 180HP Lycoming O-360-A3A dual electronic ignition drives the 3 bladed MT fan. Since it was one of the last produced before Vans started selling it’s successor the RV-7, it incorporates: Pre-punched wings, RV-8 tail group, RV-7 canopy/engine mount/gear legs/tailwheel fork, so I now call her an RV-6.9 I have redone the panel twice, and she now sports dual battery back-up G5s, a GNX375, an AV-20 and a Garmin radio. An iPad mini holder with cooling fans running SkyDemon completes the suite.
Back to the “Total Performance” meaning: It ain’t the fastest (172KTAS top speed, 160KTAS can be planned if in a hurry), nor the slowest (stalls at 47KIAS @ MTOM), nor the one with most cargo capacity (45kg behind the seats), nor the one with longest endurance or range (solo and using my loitering settings of 19"/2000RPM = 5.USG/21lt = 130KTAS @ 4KFT = 6.5 hours), nor the most aerobatic (+6-3G, no inverted systems, yes, the engine stops when inverted), nor having the shortest runway requirement (259m ground run @ MTOM @ 20°C @ 2000ft. My runway minima is 200m when flying solo). But she does all of the above, and more.
One area where she is amongst the very best: The handling. Are you a real pilot (as opposed to a flight manager)? Do you prefer to move the stick around and enjoy the feel of the air on the control surfaces, or do you prefer to push the AP button and take a nap? Have you flown say a DHC-1 Chipmunk? Or a Falco? A Cap-10B maybe? And a Bücker? Pitts anyone? Well, a good power to weight ratio and no play in the pushrod activated ailerons and elevators means sensitivity, responsiveness, balance, control authority, agility, and lack of vice are all present in her. The same will be found in the RV-4, the -7, and in a more stable version pitch wise, the -8.

Again, go and ask, beg, threaten, supply, or send your girl friend to ask for a ride in a Vans RV, I don’t think you will be disappointed

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message