Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changing horses..

its not the sound that counts, is the smell of kerosene
my wife can tell when i have been running that PT6-A from the smell in my clothing…

KHQZ, United States

I was searching EuroGA for information on the certified Bristell B23 and it looks like this thread has most information on that with @aart s contribution. The school I rent from is in the process of buying a Bristell B23 and I wanted to know if it is worth waiting for that before I change schools (their other certified aircraft are all grounded at the moment, very annoying)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

If I were you I would first get a demo flight in a B23 to see whether you really like it. There is a demo plane at the BAS facility in Worms AFAIK.
I have no idea how quickly your current school would be able to take delivery of a B23 (either a demo unit of their own new one), which is of course another factor.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Hi,

I went to Worms two weeks ago to try the B23. It is not a short trip from Hildesheim, but if you can take a day off to visit, I do recommend it. Not only because of the plane itself (I enjoyed the 1 hr flight a lot) but also for the people in Aero Service Worms. Really nice. I am located in Berlin, but was in Göttingen (for non-touristic reasons) for a few days and decided to escape from my commitments during one day to try the plane. About 300 km each direction, but no regrets.

@aart if the question is not too private, how tall are you? The only minor detail I did not like in the airplane were the adjustable pedals. It was really difficult for me to find a proper sitting position in which I could depress the pedals completely. With 1.72 m I do not consider myself particularly short, although I do find myself below the European average.

Regards,
Rudy

EDBK, Germany

Hi Rudy,
I’m 1.91 m. For me the most forward position of the pedals is exactly right. As commented in another thread, the length of a person does not tell the whole story, as there is quite a bit of variation between length of the legs and the torso between people. In your case, a cushion behind your back would work, since the horizontal part of the seat is quite long.

Hi aart, thanks for replying.

Indeed we used two cushions behind the back of the seat to quickly set some more or less usable position during the flight. For a first demo with an instructor I did not mind, but if I am ever to fly this machine regularly I will have to invest some time in finding an optimum.

I flew once the Grob 115 of my school during my PPL training and had to resort to a similar trick. This was also a short hop, just picking up the machine from the avionics shop with the school owner, so I also let it be. I am considering taking the UPRT course they offer iin that machine, but I’ll need to find a solution for my seating comfort before spinning.

EDBK, Germany

I was born and raised in a country where kids used a bike as their means of transport. So, rather than buying a new bike regularly, many parents just bought an oversized bike and put some blocks on the pedals Don’t know whether I’m thinking too much outside of the EASA-box here. Maybe if the “blocks” were easily removable there would not be a need for certification?

Last Edited by aart at 28 Apr 05:24

I am 1.73 and never needed it on Cessna’s, but for those there are Certified rudder pedal extensions available

Maybe one of those can be adapted?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I am 196cm at 110kg and the B23 fits well.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I could also use something like this:

Last Edited by rcepeda at 07 May 18:58
EDBK, Germany
Sign in to add your message