Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yaesu FTA750L and Flightcom 403mc

Hello guys i found this forum as i was looking for some information on the yaesu fta750l which i purchased a week ago.

I wanna use it as a primair com system in my ULM that i am building, it is a calypso 2B from ultracraft (link)

The FTA750L comes with the SCU-15 headset adapter. So my guess is I have to cut the 2 jack connectors off and rewire the wire’s to my flightcom 403mc.

i am a not familiar with these things so i wanted too get some info on how to do this. I first did a email to Peter who is active on this forum for help. He told me to post and ask for help on this board because here are some guys really into these kind of things.

i already did a mail to yaesu for a wiring diagram of the SCU-15

and they send me this

now i wanna connect it to my flightcome 403mc this is the wiring diagram

could you guys give me some idea’s on how i have to do this
I wanna use 1x jj-034 MONO HEADPHONE JACK and 1x jj-033MICROPHONE JACK only with the radio incase the intercom is dead or broken and 1x jj-034 MONO HEADPHONE JACK and 1x jj-033MICROPHONE JACK for pilot and 1x jj-034 MONO HEADPHONE JACK and 1x jj-033MICROPHONE JACK for copilot there has to be 2 PTT switches 1 for pilot and 1 for copilot.

any advice welcome thanks guys,

Greets Danny

Replace aircraft radio with this diagram

Use the same configuration as indicated by the manual. It does have an emergency mode (pilot to radio) when the intercom fails or is switched off. None the less you could also add the emergency sockets as indicated in the diagram for redundancy.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Hey Jesse

Thanks for your answer
I will start on this in the weekend and will keep you guys posted

one question what kind of wires should i use. Do i have to use the teflon coated ones or can i also use standard wires

thanks

greets Danny

I suggest a search on e.g.
avionics wire

Teflot is rarely used in GA avionics. Most wire is the Raychem Type 55 or similar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Keep everything on the same scale. You are not going to install a glass cockpit, are you? Simple planes take simple accessories. In such a plane, standard automotive wire will do quite well. Do work safely, though: wires will heat and vibrate, they must be secure both thermally and mechanically.

For the microphone lines, use shielded microphone cable as available from hobby electronics shops. Shielded cable is absolutely required, there.

NB where are you building the Calypso? I know its creator, actually I hope to meet him tomorrow.

Last Edited by at 22 Jan 15:21
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter wrote:

Teflot is rarely used in GA avionics. Most wire is the Raychem Type 55 or similar.

Are you sure? Most wiring confirms to MIL-W-22759 wire and MIL-C-27500 for cables. Raychem Type 55 does as well, I think they are EFTE / PTFE. Telfon is trade name for PTFE isn’t it?

I would recommend this MIL-W-22759 / MIL-C-27500 wiring. It is more flexible, withstands heat far better, and doesn’t shave, like most low cost PVC wiring. It will be more expensive, but you will get yourself a better job. Also use good quality krimp connectors and pliers if you aren’t used to soldering. These can be bought for little money.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

We may have the names crossed but I am sure Type 55 is not pure PTFE. It is some sort of crosslinked ETFE material – example

That is standard avionics wire, usually white but not always (e.g. Socata used light blue).

I do use pure PTFE wire e.g. this and you can see from the price this costs a lot more than even Type 55. The insulation is also really tough. But I don’t use this on aircraft. I use the standard avionics wire.

Yes PTFE is Teflon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

well did another diagram i think i can start on that harness now
if i have any faults …. just shoot and tell me

think i gonna go for the teflon wires
for the little amount of elecktrics i have in my plane i just wanna do it right and Jan maybe some day i will put that Glass Cockpit in …… ;-)

thanks guys for the info
really appreciate it

greets Danny

There are people around with stronger expertise than mine, but I do not like grounding the jacks – especially the microphone jacks – to a kind of bus bar, as illustrated. IMHO the microphone jacks should be wired straight from the jack to the back side of the radio (or the intercom), with the shielding braid connected to the earth tag at both sides if the jacks are mounted on insulating material, or only on one side if on conductive and earthed carriers, such as alu sheet. Which side may then be a matter of experimentation…

If you wish to go for the real proper kind of wire: I was told the stuff can be bought per metre from the avionics shop at EBZW.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

IMHO the microphone jacks should be wired straight from the jack to the back side of the radio (or the intercom),

Jan makes a good suggestion here. You will have better noise immunity when doing like he says, to do a real good job you want to isolate both microphone and headset connectors. You might also want to connect the tip of the emergency microphone as PTT. In that case you can always use a handmike in that position.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message