Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eurofox flyout 'home to Nitra'

There are over 60 Eurofox aircraft operating in the UK, both under Group A and microlight categories. At least a dozen are planning to ‘return home’ to Nitra (Slovakia) in June/July ‘16, probably in groups of 3 or 4, and no doubt some intrepid loners. No real reason – just fun – (we are planning to return)….Also, there’s likely to be some non-Eurofox aircraft joining us.

Route planning is interesting – despite approx. 6hrs endurance (@90-95kts), personally I’d prefer 2-3 hr. legs, and some interesting stops en route. To Schengen ourselves, (most starting from Sussex/Kent), initial stops could be Le Touquet, Calais or Ostend. Some will route Belgium, Germany Austria, Czech Republic, and others will probably take a more southerly initial route through France.

Some of us would definitely prefer Mogas for our Rotax 912s, though it’s not carved in stone – Avgas is acceptable. We’re almost all Mode S and 8.33 capable, but no nonsense with ADF and VOR kit, though no doubt bristling with GPS gear (apart from one or two refuseniks); the odd Yaesu-type ILS if we get stuck, I guess.

We’d appreciate tips and advice for any Mogas-equipped airfields en route (rare as dragons’ eggs?), interesting stopovers (perhaps airfields with aviation museums?) etc.

And maybe if any other .Eurofox owners would like to join us, then I can put you in touch with the organiser.

Thanks in advance (and Season’s Greetings to other true aviators….)

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 01 Jan 14:58
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Just some thoughts:

-) for your initial stop, Ostend might be found rather expensive. Actually, the place basically disallows microlight operations, though an exception has been created. Myself would prefer Calais LFAC. If it must be Belgium, EBKT Kortrijk might be a better choice. They too have limitations about microlight operations, but I feel this might well be negotiable.

-) there are quite few Eurofoxen in BE too, and some of those made a similar trip in 2014 or so. I could get you in touch with them, feel free to pm.

-) plenty of fields in Germany offer MoGas, though mostly of the 98 octane version.

-) some fields in Germany, especially in Thüringen (Thuringia) but also a few in Bayern (Bavaria) have cottage accommodation

-) the same goes for many more in Czechia: accomodation often available, and several fields have MoGas, locally called Natural 95.

-) one place that I know to have a museum is Kunovice but there must be many more.

-) you might consider acquiring the CZ + SK aerodrome documentation from Mr Sainer

-) last but not least, I might be interested to join, do keep me posted!

Last Edited by at 01 Jan 16:52
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Many thanks, Jan – that’s really useful information.

Although my ‘personal’ group of a/c may not have a microlight, are there any general restrictions for microlights in Belgium? I’d heard rumours.

We’re OK with 95 octane Mogas, but not exceeding 5% ethanol. I’ll try and do some research on suitable German and Czech Republic fields.

That link to Mr Sainer looks excellent.

As soon as I have information on the likely week, I’ll let you know – it would, of course, be great if you could join us.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

For Mogas in Germany, you can consult the MoGasKarte. It is usually well kept, but the most recent edition appears to be from May 2015 so some care/cross-checking might be in order.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Theoretically, Belgium does require an overflight permission for all Annex II planes, which involves a payment of 94,- €. I have repeatedly been assured, though, that this mechanism has only been set up in response to the (numerous) Belgian ULM operators who register their craft in France and that genuine foreigners wil not be harassed. No official confirmation, though.

Last Edited by at 02 Jan 16:13
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Regarding Czech Rep airports:
…as I come from …
The Kunovice airport (LKKU) has an open air museum, but it is a PPR airport. And I personally consider some local officers rather unpleasant.
Another open air museum can be found at Vyskov (LKVY). http://lhs-vyskov.cz/
But I really recommend another airfield – Mlada Boleslav (LKMB). Beautiful small museum, restaurant, Mogas available.
http://www.letecke-muzeum-metodeje-vlacha.cz/
Another Czech airfields with Mogas available are: LKBE, LKMK. Usually one can get the mogas at LKJI too.
Other airfields are not guaranteed regarding mogas/avgas availability. They have fuel, but sometimes they are not willing to sell.
Of course you can get avgas at bigger (=more expensive) airports as LKKV, LKPM, LKTB, LKMT.
For instant airpace usage I recommend this link:
http://aisview.rlp.cz/
Cheers.

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message