Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What are you building/flying ?

Welcome Dan and an interesting read, especially landing on a road

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Hello Dan,

great to see you here!

I think I recall your landing that Falco in the Jura. That was one very impressive piece of airmanship!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thanks guys!
I guess anyone who has been flying for a while has a few stories up his sleeves.
Every time something serious happens (I had a few more) I wonder at what level my sacks are. You surely remember, the one filled with luck and the other one filled with experience. Sure don’t want that 1st one to get empty, I still need it from time to time

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The link to @DeeCee57 ‘s website doesn’t seem to work but this one does. I was curious about the Falcos… they are really beautiful.

RVs are just well designed and carefully developed. An RV-8 flying friend has been practicing takeoff engine failure turn backs this week, and giving me updates. The plane climbs steeply so from 1000 ft starting height he can’t make the airport because he’s too high after making the 180 degree turn. Under 500 ft and he think he would be too low. Somewhere in between would apparently be workable. Wonderful planes anyway, fast climb = safety.

The SIPA 903 is an interesting design, very ‘classic monoplane’ looking

Thanks for the post!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 31 May 21:52

Hello everyone, this is my first post on Euroga. I have been building my RV-12 for the last 6 years. I started on an airfield hangar, then moved to the basement of my house, then I moved to an empty warehouse, built my house inside it and then, finally a workshop inside it with good lighting, thermal insulation and climate control which is where I am finishing the build. Empennage, wings and fuselage kits are finished and now I´m in the last pages of the finishing kit with the fire-wall forward kit already here with the engine ready to be installed. I´m based just south of Madrid. In the meantime I fly a Tecnam P2002 Sierra, registered as non-ULM amateur built(!). The -12 will have the 912ULS on it and initially the standard VANS Europe-version avionics kit, plus the Dynon autopilot. I try to make long flying trips and the last flew years I have been on trips with a friend on his RV-7 and other RVs to Morocco and Cape North, and I´m now doing the homework for a trip to Gambia, a small country embedded inside Senegal.

LEMT, Spain

Welcome PacoMadrid. Good idea making a trolley from pallets

Gambia will be impressive – looking forward to reading your posts. Good luck with the finishing of the build.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

From here

@IO390, suggest build yourself an RV :-)

It’s great fun, I am entertained for the next few years and after that will have a great aeroplane.

The hard part is resisting going flying when the weather is nice but you know you ought to be building.

EGLM & EGTN

@Graham I would love to build and absolutely will put an RV7 together one day. I’ve looked at getting a partially completed kit, which is still an option as the wait for a new one is not currently viable for me. My preferred option currently a to get a basic RV6.

I know @Peter is a bit cynical about builds, and it’s not without reason. It’s definitely doable but I guess most people understimate the task before they begin. I see no reason to not try though.

@ivark that Vinka is interesting, looks very similar to a Bulldog.

United Kingdom

@IO390 happy to chat about it if you want. It’s certainly a learning curve and requires time + serious commitment. But it ain’t rocket science…

EGLM & EGTN

I am not cynical; just realistic. I’ve seen and heard many stories, most of which are of course never posted publicly. My inability to post stuff I’ve been told in confidence enables others to easily criticise what I write, but so be it

There are a few very skilled builders but the majority of projects are disasters of various sizes. Many are part-built before they are abandoned and sold on, then sometimes abandoned again. It’s just a fact that most people don’t have the mechanical skills needed. Also people who abandoned a build and eventually got rid of it tend to keep quiet and one finds out only when asking them years later.

I just cannot imagine most people having the time to sit in a shed for such a vast number of hours, while having a life.

This is a very relevant thread too.

Posts moved to existing “building” thread. See the “Threads possibly related to this one” below for some interesting reading.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message