Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ECAC Status for homebuilt / experimental (flight privileges within Europe)

Now, if the person wanted to stay for good in Norway, then this would be a different situation. In that case he would be better off importing it and putting it on LN reg anyway, because it is better than French reg for homebuilt types.

Very interesting. It is impossible to register French (or any other) homebuilts in Switzerland.

BOD
LSGY, LFSP, LFHM, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

No matter how one shakes these things, it is a ban

If you call it that, then there is a ban with modifications. But that is not how it works, and it’s not what the law say. What the law actually say (from memory) is “6 months and an additional 6 months, and after that only by approval by the aviation authority”. But I mean, 6 months starting from when? based on what? If I fly a trip before that 6 months has expired, then what?

It’s not exactly crystal clear. The words are clear enough, but what’s the underlying meaning, and how is it practiced? Another thing is once you import it, it has to be on Norwegian register (by law), simply because all Norwegian aircraft has to be registered in the Norwegian register. This is mostly about insurance etc. Any aircraft has to registered in an official (state owned) register for international insurance laws (mostly about third party, death etc) will work. It cannot be registered two places.

That was the thing about UL’s and one of the changes coming now. They are not registered in the normal official register, and that is the mean reason third party insurance (+ life/death) don’t work. But, when the new regulations starts, then you can. You can take it out of the UL register and into a new special sport category national register, and it becomes just like an EASA aircraft. This has nothing to do with hull insurance or anything like that (I’m not sure it’s even called insurance in the right sense of the word).

To call it a ban is not correct IMO. It’s more the case that the law simply does not make it possible (for us normal law abiding people who take the law as it seemingly is ). Still I can’t see how that law in any way would ban a person from France for instance, who shall work in Norway for 3 years, and who want to take his RV with him. Then the aircraft will not be imported, and as long as it is maintained properly, I don’t see what the problem should be. But that may be the main issue also. The aviation authorities are also bound by law (the same law) to assure the aircraft (and the pilot, the operation) is safe. How they do that is fully up to them, and not doing it at all, simply refusing the man/woman to bring his aircraft (for more than 12 months at a time) is a perfectly valid answer as far as they are concerned, I would think. Which would be the worst case scenario (but unlikely IMO): The aircraft would have to be flown back to France regularly during those 3 years.

Now, if the person wanted to stay for good in Norway, then this would be a different situation. In that case he would be better off importing it and putting it on LN reg anyway, because it is better than French reg for homebuilt types.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That’s not how it works. It’s perfectly legal in Norway to have any aircraft registered in any country. But, the law is such that more than 6 months requires explicit permission from the authorities. The problem is of course to come up with a good reason.

Which is in essence what I said

I have no clue what reason would do, but if a US citizen lived his temporarily, I would think that would be a good reason?

Maybe, maybe not. Normally, in Europe, it isn’t. The residence or passport of the pilot or owner is irrelevant.

6 months is for all practical purposes a ban.

There has to be some allowance otherwise international aviation could not exist. This allowance may be published, or may not be. In Germany it is published as 180 days. For UK and France it is published as 28 days (see the France 28 days thread).

Then there must be a specific provision for AOG. This was done to death in the Italian luxury tax thread (which was actually certified aircraft too). Originally there was no AOG provision (an obvious cockup but do you feel lucky in Italy, if you need a local lawyer but can’t speak Italian?). Later there was an AOG provision with the proviso that the aircraft is in maintenance by an Italian company (do you again feel lucky, with your plane being “maintained” by some random outfit, just so you don’t get hit with the tax?).

No matter how one shakes these things, it is a ban. For sure you can do a lot under the radar, more so in southern Europe, but once you get rumbled, you have this hard to move object which you can’t just chuck into a suitcase and vanish.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes; the only country where foreign reg Annex 1 can be parked long-term is Germany.

That’s not how it works. It’s perfectly legal in Norway to have any aircraft registered in any country. But, the law is such that more than 6 months requires explicit permission from the authorities. The problem is of course to come up with a good reason. I have no clue what reason would do, but if a US citizen lived his temporarily, I would think that would be a good reason? (but don’t know). However, if I bought an American aircraft, then I can’t think of any reason not to put it on LN reg. But then again, I know people who do, so there is obviously a way to do it.

EASA reg is different, but in that case there is no reason not to put it on LN-reg, as this for sure will simplify customs, and the aircraft can be maintained anywhere (in EASA) no matter what.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Of course, that would make perfect sense; the alternative is for them to be smashed up by the Russians

Administrator

Dozens of Ukrainian registered RVs and other homebuilts are parked in Poland since the war started, therefore I believe it must be allowed by law
I never checked the relevant regs though

Poland

Yes; the only country where foreign reg Annex 1 can be parked long-term is Germany.

Administrator

From here

I saw a UK registered homebuilt advertised a while back by someone living in Spain because he couldn’t keep it there.

Germany

This is relevant to UK people wanting to fly to France using the PMD medical, in an Annex 1 or similar.

Administrator
141 Posts
Sign in to add your message