Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA = Experimental EASA = CoA

10 Posts

Three is at least one aircraft that I know of (DO-27) that in Europe is a CoA aircraft but in the USA is considered as an Experimental. The reason for this is because the German design regulations at the time of design did not match those of the USA (http://do27.com/index.php/en/do27/faq), as a result the FAA will not issue the aircraft with a full CoA and accept it as a certified aircraft.

My question (Theoretical at the moment):
What should be the procedure to import back such an aircraft and how one put it back on any European registration? Is there any form that will be accepted by EASA as an equal to an Export CoA but for Experimental?

Thanks

Ben

I have no idea about any forms and things, but why do you want to do that? In Norway it will not be possible. Once experimental, always experimental.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I wonder if when originally putting it on N-register as an Experimental whether it is necessary to take it off the EU register in the first place? I don’t imagine the FAA would need an export C of A for an aircraft being registered as Experimental :-)

This situation is true a number of aircraft, some that come to mind are: Robins, anything pre-1960s design and German like Bölkow 207 or Bückers, a lot of De Havilland stuff, anything old and Russian designed.

I may be wrong but:

Isn’t the reason they are experimental in the US that they are not certified to FAA standards, while they have a European Type Certificate?

In which case, I would not know why they should be “always an Experimental” only because they were licensed thus in the US?

I have to ask, but I thought I heard of an AN2 which was exported to the US, certified under Experimental there, but due to the massive restrictions they got eventually shipped back to Europe and registered somewhere in Eastern Europe (where it came from)?

So if a DO27, which once was under German Register, came back from the USA, why should it not be possible to register it under German register again, probably as an Annex II airplane?

The only thing which I would assume might cause a problem is if the airplane has been modified with stuff which is not certifiable in europe, which is one bit which also prevents a lot of N-reg normal cathegory airplanes being registered here. (One example being the Columbia /Corvalis 400, where the anti icing is not cerified here and has to be physically REMOVED…. talke about SAFETY…) So if they modified the airplane, you might need to undo the modifications.

It may well be an idea to contact the CAA of your country to find out what they have to say about it. The only time I did that for an import I was not sure about for a friend, the Swiss CAA was extremely forthcoming with help.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Ben if you’re keen on that type i know of one for sale in Chile with a full Chilean CoA, none of this US experimental monkey business.

So if a DO27, which once was under German Register, came back from the USA, why should it not be possible to register it under German register again, probably as an Annex II airplane?

Within FAA register, it is fairly easy to move aircraft in and out of Experimental (or foreign non-standard certifications) with a TC conformity inspection done by a DAR, of which there are many. That is what would happen if somebody were to for example re-import a UK Permit to Fly Luscombe that has an FAA TC. Surely something/somebody similar must exist for EU registers?

I have occasionally thought of importing a similar type of non-FAA certified aircraft into Experimental N-register. Unless I were forced into it I wouldn’t deregister the aircraft from the non-FAA register in doing so – I would just let the plane ‘drop off the map’. That might be better later on, as per the OP’s question. That said, I appreciate that an existing FAA Experimental register aircraft located within the U.S. may never have been on any other register. An example would be low volume, factory built gliders or aerobatic aircraft imported new to the US that went straight into Experinental because the manufacturer had no budget to do world-wide certification.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Jun 18:56

LeSving wrote:

I have no idea about any forms and things, but why do you want to do that? In Norway it will not be possible. Once experimental, always experimental.

Forty years ago I was closely associated with these aircraft and learnt to appreciate their quality of built, simplicity as well as their reliability. Once, during a training flight in the desert an oil hose burst, the pilots landed on a slopping bank (~25 degrees) of a wadi without any damage to it…then, it fell of the helicopter that was sent to rescue it.

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Ben if you’re keen on that type i know of one for sale in Chile with a full Chilean CoA, none of this US experimental monkey business.

Thanks, it will be interesting to have a look at it as the aircraft that I am interested in are all ex IAF (and even then I am after a specific model and specific S/N) which differ from the DO27 that can be found in Europe.

Ben wrote:

Forty years ago I was closely associated with these aircraft and learnt to appreciate their quality of built, simplicity as well as their reliability.

I was only questioning the reason to not keep it experimental.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Putting it on an ICAO compliant CofA means you can fly it all over Europe without having to get permits.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can reimport it and get it back on German registry without any problems, if it still is in conformity with the TCDS.

But why do you want a DO27, they only climb because the Earth is round and the LDgear is too narrow. Get a Turbine Bird Dog SM1019A.

EDTQ / Sarentino
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message