Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why are homebuilt twins so uncommon?

It has been done before (Philips Speed Twin)

Yes, but they gave up on the “homebuilt” part of their project long ago and decided to go the production aircraft way. There will be no plans or kits for this aeroplane.

Regarding the original question: My guess is that it is simply about money. The engine (+ propellers, tanks, fuel system, engine instruments) is by far the most expensive part of every/most homebuilts. A twin effectively doubles this cost factor.
It does not help either, that the market is flooded with pre-owned light twins that can be bought for less than what a single of it’s engines is worth.

Last Edited by what_next at 03 Mar 11:52
EDDS - Stuttgart

Sorry, I didn’t attach the link properly: Link

EGTP

You could of course forget the LAA and just do it with the CAA directly. Good luck with that.

It has been done before – Link

EGTP

I thought the LAA had total engine power, all up weight, and seating limits. It’s only recently that 4 seaters were considered. The Cri Cri is, to say the least, unusual. some would say a novelty type.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

but it still surprises me given that some people are keen to squeeze all the complexity they can into a homebuilt aircraft. And also given that many designs come from the era when piston twins were still popular.

You have to look at the history of homebuilt aircraft. They were simple and light wood and fabric designs using whatever engine was available. Flybaby and Turbulent and similar. No kits were available, everything had to be built from scratch using drawings and sketches. It’s only during the last 25 years that kits has become popular, and the advanced prepunched skin kits have only been here the last 10 years.

The Cri Cri is hardly a twin in the right sense of the word.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The Cri-Cri is on the LAA list. Alas I don’t have the skills/time to design and build a twin but it still surprises me given that some people are keen to squeeze all the complexity they can into a homebuilt aircraft. And also given that many designs come from the era when piston twins were still popular.

In the UK I do not believe the LAA have any multi engine types approved. In fact I don’t know if the are even allowed to do so, their authority is delegated from the CAA, with limits.

You could of course forget the LAA and just do it with the CAA directly. Good luck with that.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

There is the French Mosquito replica too. More of a one-off than a serious attempt at a reproducible homebuilt design.

My understanding is that a British father and son are building one of these, with a view to possibly importing them . http://www.aircam.com

Looks like a lot of fun.

There is the Velocity Twin of course. But it’s a large and complex aircraft.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message