Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slow and Safe on Twin Engines

A guy near me flies one of these and it seems to me an interesting take on safe flying.

Link

Nice photography anyway, and a very ‘VFR’ thread for EuroGA.

Low airspeed, low propeller inertia, and high engine friction promote an interesting, unusual but I think entirely valid way to ensure single engined safety – if that’s the goal. No feathering required, it just stops!

Hi guys. Anyone knows what aircraft group is cessna 162 skycatcher?
I would like to build my hours on this aircraft in us but not sure if hours build on that aircraft will be counted towards my cpl requirements. I know that in us this aircraft is light sport aircraft. Could you help please?

Twin:
that’s the famous AirCam, I’ve once flown it at the factory in Florida. But it’s not really an airplane I would enjoy much in Northern/Central Europe…

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 05 Mar 06:28

A Cessna what? 162? That is yesterdays news. If you can find one scrap it.

United Kingdom

Yes, I wouldn’t recommend the 162 either. The last 50 ones on stock are beeing scrapped by Cessna for spare parts, and there are indications that the thing is not really safe. I’d rather fly a beat up 152 anytime …

Interesting to see the different pilots with their different view on equipment. Some had crash helmets, some had lifejackets, and one guy didn’t even have the shoulder straps done up on his harness!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The air cam video does look fun. But that’s probably because it’s all low flying. Bring it up to 3000ft and I’d say it gets pretty boring at 55mph!

Looking at their clothes and how much the wind catches it, you’d need some serious thermal gear for flying it anywhere other than very hot climates. I take it that’s why the quote the fuel burn at speeds that has the engines ‘just above idle’. Any faster and it’s too cold.

The single engine performance looks great.

I’d think that they are a good choice somewhere that is warm, and allows low flying. But I don’t think you’d want to be going too far in them.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed watching the video!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The single engine performance looks great.

Hard to tell from the video. Their single engine takeoffs were flown with only one person on board (= half load) and who knows how much fuel in the tanks. Any twin can do that if it’s light enough. Any any real airplane can do it at maximum takeoff mass, otherwise it wouldn’t be certified.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Any any real airplane can do it at maximum takeoff mass, otherwise it wouldn’t be certified.

I remember that for years, the Delta B767 schedule from Stuttgart to Atlanta/New York could only take off in one direction in Stuttgart when fully booked and often had to wait for the wind to allow a tailwind takeoff. With only one engine, it wasn’t guaranteed to make it over the hills west of the runway.

… could only take off in one direction in Stuttgart when fully booked …

Not only the Delta flight. We see a lot of opposite departures at EDDS, especially during the summer holiday season with full airplanes, high temperatures and calm wind. It’s beacuse the hills in the west are just on the border of the “second segment climb gradient” that is guaranteed by the part 25 certification and operators like to play it safe. For many years (until the runway was extended to the east) Stuttgart had a “red star” as a dangerous airport because of those hills, because they actually penetrated the climb gradient.
But with most light twins, an engine failure right after takeoff will take you straight into the terrain unless you have an escape route (like follwing the motorway to the northwest) to follow.

EDDS - Stuttgart
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message