Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Operating an FAA experimental type (VFR) in Europe on N reg

Hi guys. I am thinking of buying something like a Glassair, RV-7 or similar two seat quick home built type and importing it to Europe. Only for fun VFR flying, and a small number of pilots.

What should I know before doing so, especially with regard to Licencing (one partner has FAA only, although I have dual licences), maintenance (I guess in need an FAA A+P to do this), or any other problems that EASA might cause in this respect?

Any suggestions for similar quick two seat types also welcome.

Many thanks!

sorry, it went off while I was cleani...
not in UK

This ought to be quite interesting (sincerely)

From the FAA point of view, if you didn’t build the plane yourself you’ll need an A&P (not IA) for annual inspections but can do anything else yourself.

I have seen a couple of such aircraft operating in the EU.

I believe Uk, France and Italy do not allow experimental N-reg for more than a few weeks (per annum or even per…ever in the case of Italy). I believe Germany, Denmark and Netherlands allow them indefinitely. Shame we don’t have the same freedom as in the US: I’d love to fly an L39 freely cross-borders…

There used to be an N-reg Rutan-type canard at EBST too, don’t know about its current status. But we have an active member on site..?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You will need to get it registered and approved in your home country. Without a standard CofA you can only obtain a temporary exemption for a few weeks.

This needs a lot of homework to avoid disappointment. I’ve done this into the UK and can give a bit of advice, but your original premise of staying on the N reg isn’t feasible.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Thanks for the info. So in a nutshell unless the aircraft is “passing through” Europe, like for six months, and not permanently based in Europe, I guess it’s okay. Is that the general consensus?

Regarding the “unless for a few weeks” do you have any legislative text?

Thanks again.

sorry, it went off while I was cleani...
not in UK

I believe Germany, Denmark and Netherlands allow them indefinitely.

The N-registered experimental amateur built aircraft I saw in the EU, seemingly operating indefinitely, were based in Germany. I recall hearing something about an annual permit to operate them on N-register within Germany – but that is only my memory.

It’s different for each country. It should say in Gen 1.4 of the AIP for the country. In the UK it’s GC 5 of CAP 747 I think. You may also need to check AICs.

Iceland and Denmark (Greenland) gave me a single trip exemption. Denmark charged about 300 Euros for that and Iceland around 60 IIRC. UK allow up to 4 weeks in any one year.

The only practical, legal way is to register in your home country. The EECV agreement then means that travelling around Europe is more simple.

You can get the European AIPs by registering at eurocontrol.int and using the EADS basic service.

I have some links to AIPs here. Fortunately it is not necessary to use the horrible EAD site…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just checked myself.

It’s actually the ECAC agreement.

Denmark charged DKK 3170 (424 Euro). It would have been free for a European registered aircraft!

And it’s GEN 1.2 not 1.4 and GC no. 6 of CAP 747

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message