Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Archon Aircraft

Silvaire wrote:

These kinds of things come and go, but having more designs and more choices is better than the converse.

Exactly my thinking as well. This is a simple design, simple to build, looks like no other GA aircraft, and flies well with a 912 or whatever will fit in the 80-150 HP range. A two seater and a turbojet version are in the piping.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Silvaire wrote:

thinking initially that it was a joke or game for kids

Same here! But I guess if it looks mean killing military macho enough, they might sell a few. In the US…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

e.g. here

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

But I guess if it looks mean killing military macho enough, they might sell a few. In the US…

I don’t know if it’s just me or what it is. I wouldn’t call any of those “mean killing military macho” IMO it’s about:

• Fun
  • Having a sense of humour
  • Having a sense of “what is cool”
  • Cool and innovative aircraft design.

IMO a Cirrus is much more in the “mean macho” category, albeit in a goofy sort of way. I can’t think of Cirrus without thinking about Rowan Atkinson (aka Mister Bean). Mr Atkinson is a real car buff, but has a problems with Porche. I remember in one of his programs he talked about this. In fact it is quoted in Wikipedia:

I have a problem with Porsches. They’re wonderful cars, but I know I could never live with one. Somehow, the typical Porsche people – and I wish them no ill – are not, I feel, my kind of people.

He he. The Archon is a unique design. The placement of the engine and prop (mid fuselage), the quasi ducted fan, compact and light design. It’s not even obvious to me what is “stealth” about it, as it looks perhaps most like a F-15/Mig-29. It also perhaps resembles a F-35, is that it ? It’s also from Greece, which is pretty exotic regarding aircraft.

But, there is a young, talented aeronautical engineer at Fisher Flying Products that is in charge of getting all the pieces together for the kit. CAD, CNC, structure, systems, everything. I think most of the “macho military mean killing machine” feelings will disappear when watching her You Tube videos

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

More an more I look it, it looks more ridiculous

Last Edited by Emir at 19 Aug 12:15
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Rowan Atkinson is an old Jaguar man. If he was into aviation I would expect it.to be an old Bonanza.
Mr Bean onntje other hand is a battered ol mini man. If he owned a plane perhaps he would have an Archon or perhaps a Joker or maybe even.a Cri Cri.🙂

France

What’s the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? The Porcupine has the pricks on the outside. Certainly in the US, where the very old joke originated, there is an enduring reason why it did so

The idea of these little planes being “macho” or “mean” or “cool” is the opposite of their intent. They are toys, built for the amusement of their owners and builders. Perhaps a little bit juvenile for some tastes, but harmless enough.

Otherwise. I think FFP has designed and flown some really nice ultralights, the kind of planes that would inspire me if I had a big midwestern farm field behind my house.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Aug 13:54

That joke was used in the UK, in the 1970s and 1980s, for the difference between a hedgehog and a police car, and was quite accurate back in those days

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message