Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Switzerland requires permit on all foreign ultralights (and other countries doing similar stuff)

What I don’t get is why EASA is involved.

Brussels, yes, very possibly, since everything in the EU is within its jurisdiction.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is EASA involved? Except in the sense of deciding the weight limits for UL sircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Administrator

Peter wrote:

Above

Yes, that was deciding on weight limits. Is EASA involved in any other way?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ask Snoopy re what he meant.

Administrator

EASA has nothing to to with Microlights and visa versa. It’s purely national regulated.

This https://www.aeroclub-nrw.de/2022/01/25/ultraleichtfliegen-in-europa/ sums it up nicely (German only unfortunately)

Last Edited by europaxs at 06 Feb 10:20
EDLE

europaxs wrote:

What indeed became increasingly restrictive is the basing of homebuilt aircraft outside the county of registration. Regulation for UL/Microlight seems to be different altogether though…

I don’t see any limitations on ECAC registered homebuilt / experimentals being based outside of the country of registration here in Germany. At my home base, there are a couple of PH registered experimentals, an OE registered Vans and my S5 registered aircraft. I’ve not been told I need to do anything to base it here nor have I seen anything in the AIPs to say I can’t do it.

What AOPA Germany says is that to enter and to operate you need a permit which is valid for 180 days at most. But then says not needed for aircraft which are registered in the European Economic Area which have a permit…. bla bla bla…..

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

I don’t see any limitations on ECAC registered homebuilt / experimentals being based outside of the country of registration here in Germany.

Germany is an excetption more or less, my PH-reg. Europa was also homebased here for several years However things changed in that regard in other countries like France and the Netherlands in the meantime.

Last Edited by europaxs at 06 Feb 10:33
EDLE

MichaLSA wrote:

You want to fly internationally, follow international rules, get a certified aircraft and don’t play jester. You want an autopilot, get a certified plane. You want to fly IFR, go get at least a PPL, do your IR, get a certified aircraft. There is a good reason flight safety has reached its high level and that is called proven rules and regulations. If you wanna be somebody, If you wanna go somewhere, You better wake up … and pay attention. You wanna be accepted by skill, go get an education worth that. You want to use freedom of the sky, just follow the rules, stop jerking. End of rant.

Sorry for being a little outspoken about this, but I’ve seldomly seen a denser heap of bullshit at a pilot’s discussion board. If you feel a need to rant, please think a little bit about the stuff you’re about to post.

• It does not make any sense at all that I am allowed to fly internationally with a 60 years old run-down C150 but not with a brand shining new WT9 sporting a stellar performance and bleeding edge avionics.
  • It does not make any sense that I can happily fly at night in the aforementioned decrepit Cessna while I’m not allowed to do that in an all-EFIS microlight which is additionally equipped with a BRS.
  • It does not make any sense that I can fly to France with a 10 year old 472,5kg WT9 (which I really like) but not with a newer 600kg version of the same airplane. Both are structurally more or less identical.
  • Your remark regarding flight safety in GA, which is (in your opinion) based on “proven rules and regulations” is absolutely ridiculous. The rate of fatal accidents for SEP operations is about the same as for riding motorcycles (whose operation is more or less unregulated), i.e. it is horrible.

People are involved in aviation accidents because they have way too little training / currency. I teach around 150 to 200 hours a year both in certified and uncertified aircraft, and you can just believe me when I tell you that pilots skills usually have little to do with regulations or the type of license a pilot holds.

Germany

Brussels, yes, very possibly, since everything in the EU is within its jurisdiction.

Because EASA is the EU agency for aviation.
The 600kg UL „increase“ was done by amending the EU basic regulation. France and others opted out, to keep it national. A side effect is this overrides and makes impossible other benefits. Eg a german resident can’t fl a non german UL by design of this law.
https://www.flightdesign.cz/easa-published-new-version-of-basic-regulation-for-600-kg-ul-aircraft/

Last Edited by Snoopy at 06 Feb 12:23
always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message