Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Now this looks interesting... (Jetson 1)

Let’s not stop half way – this one looks as the final stage…

Germany

You could always add a small sound system and play noises from your smartphone.
I think bringing the cattle down from the upper pastures to the lower pastures of the Alps in autumn and vice versa in Spring is not really the same thing as cowboys in Texas.

France

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Rounding up cattle, yep could work once they get used to it.

Au contraire! Once the critters get used to the noise profile they simply see it as another thing buzzing around and don’t care. Helo roundups work because they are NOT used to the noise.

Maoraigh wrote:

In UK G Airspace, below 500’ is legal if 500’ from person or structure. Same as US?

91.119 (c) Over other than congested areas: An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

So cattle herding should be fine, similar to crop dusting.

Cattle herding will likely reduce endurance – low noise may not be an advantage.

I think it is safe to say that the noise being too low will not be an issue. Not sure you can meaningfully herd cattle in 20 minutes, though.

There’s a video somewhere of a Pitts? undercarriage hitting a cow’s head on final.
I think it was knocked down, then picked itself up.

Pretty sturdy, these Pitts

Biggin Hill

In UK G Airspace, below 500’ is legal if 500’ from person or structure. Same as US?
Cattle herding will likely reduce endurance – low noise may not be an advantage.
There’s a video somewhere of a Pitts? undercarriage hitting a cow’s head on final.
I think it was knocked down, then picked itself up.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I suppose it depends who owns the land over which you are flying.
In France there are no restrictions on where you can land a helicopter providing you have the permission of the landowner. Except if it is an urban area then you need the permission of the local authority as well.
At least I think that’s what the AIP says.
Should have added that you need permission for low flying commercial work like power line inspection. But this sort of thing is usually sorted quite quickly.
I suppose rounding up cattle might be considered commercial, but then again the DSAC don’t really get involved with the ULM scene, even for banner towing or landing on altiports.

Last Edited by gallois at 01 Dec 14:27
France

gallois wrote:

So someone with a category 6 ULM licence might well be able to fly this thing. Could be very useful to round up the cattle on the Alpine meadows.

But regular minimum heights still apply, or don’t they?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

So someone with a category 6 ULM licence might well be able to fly this thing.

That is possible indeed. Surprised about UL helicopters being covered with this as well.

Could be very useful to round up the cattle on the Alpine meadows.

It’s quite stupid all their videos have loud music. It would be interesting to hear what kind of sound this produces.

Rounding up cattle, yep could work once they get used to it.

I could also think of certain SAR applications, e.g. getting help to remote accident sites rather quick. The size of this thing would even allow carrying it on board of a rescue and deploy it to places where the helo can’t land.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Remember ultra light helicopters and gyrocopters are flown in France on ULM licences, which require no medical, and although there is a licence, the theory test can be done online and takes about 5mins and the practical including the test is all done with an instructor and the number of hours depends on the student’s ability.
So someone with a category 6 ULM licence might well be able to fly this thing. Could be very useful to round up the cattle on the Alpine meadows.

France

Sebastian_G wrote:

Actually what is the advantage of all those tiny rotors compared to a traditional helicopter powered by an electric motor?

There are actually a couple:
- You can use higher rotation speeds w/o getting supersonic effects at the blade tips. So you don’t need a gearbox.
- Multicopter has intrinsic redundancy → catastrophic failure of a single rotor does not lead to a crash
- Smaller rotors have less inertia – therefore one can regulate the rotor speed better
- lower forces on each rotor, shafts, etc. that enables simpler construction

Germany
59 Posts
Sign in to add your message