Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Now this looks interesting... (Jetson 1)

This is, without doubt, the most exciting way to cut the lawn I have ever seen. I’d want one just for that

Last Edited by Pig at 27 Nov 12:08
Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

A head chopping device flying at head altitude at 50? knots will never ever be allowed to roam freely in Norway, that for sure.

This kind of flying is beyond reckless, I thought that as well. Not a really good video to market this thing in Europe. In the US…. well… the attitude is different.

The data sais however normal flying altitude is “beyond 1500 ft AGL” which makes a lot more sense, also for BRS. I also guess the final version might get a propeller guard. Otherwise, yea, if one of those blades goes away, it might end up acting like a guilloutine…

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 27 Nov 13:47
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Looks pretty cool. I see that their order book is pretty full and includes two sales into the UK.

Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wrote:

Looks pretty cool. I see that their order book is pretty full and includes two sales into the UK.

But where to use this thing legally? I con only imagine indoors? You can drive all kind of stuff on private property but as far as I know this does not apply to flying things so it will need to be registered as some kind of flying machine and it does not match any of the existing categories, does it?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

But where to use this thing legally?

Per definition it is a helicopter, so I guess pretty much everywhere. But it also means it has to be operated like a helicopter (SERA and all that). The endurance is probably only 5-10 minutes though, so I guess the only thing it can be used for is hoovering at low alt (in the forest )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

When there’s enough critical mass, of course it will be allowed. No regulator is going to hold out against a massive movement – and it will be. We will see flying cars. Just 100 years later than we thought.

LeSving wrote:

Per definition it is a helicopter, so I guess pretty much everywhere.

I’m not so sure it’s a helicopter. It doesn’t really use a rotary wing but instead 8 fixed-pitch propellers, which is quite different. Also, I’m 100% certain it’s fly-by-wire with completely synthetic flight controls, like on a drone. (This basically is a scaled-up drone.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AdamFrisch wrote:

When there’s enough critical mass, of course it will be allowed. No regulator is going to hold out against a massive movement – and it will be.

I would not be so sure. At least initially there will be huge resistance as it opens a can of worms which quite a few regulators have for decades tried to keep a lid on.

Primarily, this device will trigger several “Anti-Reflexes”
- It does not need airports to operate or rather, airports are pointless for it.
- If it is used in residential areas, it will cause a huge stirr because of noise. Seeing that people even sue gliders for noise, the NIMBY brigade will have a field day.
- The way the company markets it such as with the reckless flying video in the forest will cause convulsions not only with regulators but also responsible acting pilots.

Only a few I can think of.

In some parts of Europe, I don’t see a chance that this thing would be accepted outside simple airport ops as experimental. Which makes it useless, because with one of these I’d like to land it in my own back yard and fly it to wherever I want to go on the fast. And that won’t happen.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’m not so sure it’s a helicopter

If a remember correctly, a helicopter according to EASA is an aircraft that use one or several rotors, primarily with vertical axis, to supply lift and thrust (or something in that direction). Of course flying a drone is vastly different and infinitely easier than flying a helicopter, but that difference is in all principle exactly the same as flying an F-16 and any other manually controlled aircraft (An F-16 is dynamically unstable, and simply cannot be flown without a FBW).

AFAIKS any drone is a helicopter, the number of rotors doesn’t matter, and what you call those rotors doesn’t matter. It’s the function of those rotors that matters. If they supply lift and thrust, then it is a helicopter. An autogyro is different, it doesn’t use the rotor to supply thrust. However, since the operational aspects are so different compared with an ordinary helicopter, it clearly makes it something else than an ordinary helicopter.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

because with one of these I’d like to land it in my own back yard and fly it to wherever I want to go on the fast

I can do that today But where I live I would think it would happen only once, and the neighbors would be rather unhappy and irritated (and I live inside the CTR of ENVA, so I need clearances). I could move to a bit more desolate place, and no problem. However, as the rules are today, I would still need a helicopter license for this to be legal, and I would have to register the device somehow, as an experimental helicopter. As such, I highly doubt the CAA would allow anything but experimental flights for test and demonstration purposes in designated areas. Which of course would be a whole lot of interesting and educational fun

Which again puzzles me with this board. Why must every aircraft conceivable be reduced to a means of transportation from A to B of human bodies? It’s like reducing the function of food to exclusively injecting nutrients in the body? “Because we can” is not something that is spoken often by most people here Just a digression.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

If a remember correctly, a helicopter according to EASA is an aircraft that use one or several rotors, primarily with vertical axis, to supply lift and thrust (or something in that direction).

You’re right. So if these propellers are considered to be rotors, then it is indeed a helicopter.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message