Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taylor Titch

The trouble with having that as your first aeroplane is you’re going to be spoilt for life!

Forever learning
EGTB

Last weekend I flew to Top Farm where the Titch is based, a nice strip with 950 metres of bowling green grade grass.

I just caught the tail end of the sunrise beneath the overcast.

Stansted was quiet on the way up, but I had to spend a few minutes orbiting north of the runway on the return trip. I much prefer doing a Stansted transit when going this way as opposed to trying to squeeze between the Luton and Stansted class D zones.

The Titch in flight:

Last Edited by IO390 at 26 Oct 12:07
United Kingdom

Why isn’t it approved for aerobatics — is there a serious barrier in getting it approved for this? Seems a bit of a shame not to be able to at least do positive G aerobatics in this.

Andreas IOM

I’m sure owners don’t generally care what is ‘approved’ in relation to their non-commercial operation of a single place Experimental aircraft, as long as they aren’t planning on displaying it in air shows etc. It might be interesting as an owner to know the history, the technical aspects if they exist, but this is the same regime which claims e.g. RV-7s can’t be flown IFR, as they are every day.

I’d imagine nobody can be bothered discussing the issue.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Oct 16:47

“It might be interesting as an owner to know the history, the technical aspects if they exist, but this is the same regime which claims e.g. RV-7s can’t be flown IFR, as they are every”
RV7 would be an LAA Permit aircraft in the UK, and eligible for IFR approval on an individual aircraft basis. I’d be surprised if there were none in the UK with IFR approval.
Jodel DR1050s were approved for limited aerobatics in France, but forbidden in the UK – both as CAA and later LAA Permit aircraft. Looking at the airframe history over 55+ years I find that reasonable.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Congratulations on your aircraft. I always fancied a Taylor Titch.

For some reason I was under the impression that they were sometimes rolled in the olden days when they were used for air racing, though I can’t find the link I had in mind, at the moment. This article from the LAA magazine discusses rolling a Cassutt racer, which is not cleared for aerobatics

I wouldn’t ever advocate operating outside of limitations, but it might be worth exploring with the LAA what those official limitations are.

I doubt that Tom Cassutt either knew about or cared about the LAA, but regardless here is a Sport Aerobatics article on the Cassutt and experience in configuring it for entry level aerobatics competition. It makes a nice cover shot for the magazine.

The article ends by saying “with appropriate experience, a properly configured Cassutt is an inexpensive candidate for Primary/Sportsman level competition.”

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Oct 14:26

Thanks all for your input! The designer of the titch designed the aircraft to be aerobatic. Im not sure why it is not cleared for aerobatics with the LAA as the airframe was thoroughly tested by Farnborough and proved to be very strong! The spar is huge. It’s such a shame as I imagine she’s great at it all!

Farm strip near Sudbury, Suffolk , United Kingdom

It’s such a shame as I imagine she’s great at it all!

As I found out on different ships, you might encounter some sudden gusts requiring opposite corrective action that might exceed the definition of aerobatic flight as defined by your beloved NAA (or CAA… or FAA… etc…) …
Just be sure you are trained in aeros and know what you’re doing.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

It has no horizon… How can one fly it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message