Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

600 Kg Aircraft

It’s a different “flying style” than IFR over Alps with ME+FIKI

I think the idea of LSA doing long distance Prague-London “low VFR” is that you have more options of landing en-route: just like a car drive, you follow the roads and stop every 2h to put AVAGS, if weather blocks the door, you land at the car petrol station, pee & put some MOGAS and have a shower & sleep for the night

If weather does not knock you out, low level turbulence and 10h of planning for PPR & CAS & NOTAMS will…
I am sure first 3 times will be bloody fun but you will be thinking 200KTAS+20kft+IFR+FIKI+MEP after !

It’s nice to add GA LSA commute to CAT, train & car commutes, it keeps motivation going
Worst case you drive the car

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jul 08:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am sure first 3 times will be bloody fun but you will be thinking of 200KTAS+20kft+FIKI+MEP after !

Exactly :-)
Eleven years ago :-)

Last Edited by Vref at 01 Jul 08:57
EBST

Vref wrote:

Eleven years ago :-)

Wow that is nice, it would have been far more fun, challenging & cheaper than the car with the engine off ;-)

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jul 09:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Just to shed some negativity lately, but all the great GA flying that can be done. You don’t have to be rich to go for it….just a lot of passion and a form of OCD for details helps also :-). So yes its all about the carrot and keep your self motivated to run after it….(not sure if this free translation holds in English..:-). I hate commercial flying and all the hassle that comes with that now………….I love the words radar contact and my recent DCT from just past Frankfurt DCT SNU VOR…230Nm….nothing can beat that…not even a Ferrari on the A3 from Frankfurt till Passau :-)

Last Edited by Vref at 01 Jul 09:48
EBST

Silvaire wrote:

There are so many other types of planes in production

well, if GAMA numbers are right “many” means different from what I thought !!

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

LeSving wrote:

The problem with the “vanilla” 600 kg airplane and a standard 100 HP Rotax 912 is it is under powered (not all of them, but most of them). At least compared with the sibling 450 kg UL, and also your typical 160/180 HP Cessna/Piper with two persons on board. Works OK for flying below 5k feet.

Quite the opposite :
A 160 HP ( 30 years ago ) Cessna\Piper climbs a lot worst with 2 POB than the average ultralight. Some crash in the alps’ valley can testify it.

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

Is this discussion about 600kg ultralight types? This is not my area of expertise but I am not aware of another category with the specific 600kg figure.

UL have a different border crossing privileges matrix to “permit” types, though also restricted – here.

Is this e.g. the Blackshape ?

These are priced in the €200k area (one price point I can find is GBP 160k in 2018), and despite a large media profile very few are being sold.

Of course these types will be fast; they are tiny 2-seaters with a tiny cockpit volume, especially the tandem types.

It could make a good tourer for 1 person though. Put in some decent avionics, an autopilot, remove the back seat, and you get a decent luggage space.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IF it is 600kg ultralight, has the standard been approved yet? Not to my knowledge…

EGTR

ormazad wrote:

Cessna\Piper climbs a lot worst with 2 POB than the average ultralight

Yes, when considering 450 kg MTOW, but not necessarily 600 kg.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

arj1 wrote:

IF it is 600kg ultralight, has the standard been approved yet? Not to my knowledge…

It is not a standard. It is a option for each country to raise the MTOM for an UL to 600 kg which was adopted by the EU two years ago. It is up to each individual country to decide if they want to use the higher limit.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Jul 15:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message