Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does flight time in Annex 2 (now called Annex 1) and UL to count towards EASA PPL currency

Looks from the previous text wording microlights that have a class/type in EASA and you can fly on a part-fcl licenece (non SSDR)

The wording of the AMC is very open tough: any 3 axis micro even those you can’t fly with an EASA licence?

I don’t think they will give privileges for UL licences or SSDR aircrafts, their scope is FCL liceneces and EASA aircrafts, I am also surprised that Sweden does not allow to fly 3-axis micro (and weight shifts?) on a part-fcl with difference training?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Dec 09:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Peter

No, the link to the EASA presentations is a zipped bundle with half a dozen presentation. Only one of them is of interest here. It’s a PDF of a PPT with lots of pages. Very interesting reading though about this very subject. Bosco just beat me by a few minutes.

The misleading part When I first saw this thread I was thinking WTF (literally). Hours in UL has never counted toward currency for EASA FCL, while the other categories in Annex I (a through d) has always counted. Just as a reminder. I do 95% of my flying in Annex I planes, UL and Safir/Cub/experimental. This summer we had a change of the regulations, so today currency of EASA FCL also counts for UL (which was very welcome for many people), but not the other way around. When reading the news letter though (and the EASA presentation), things aren’t that simple because it’s up to the national authorities to decide these things today. Still, EASA has never restricted the currency regulations, only some national authorities have done so.

The changes in EASA FCL has nothing to do with restricting the license at all. It’s all about opening up, relaxing, it’s all good.

What it’s about is two things:

• Training in Annex I. Will be possible EASA wide for aircraft in categories a through d.
  • Currency towards EASA FCL: Will be possible EASA wide for aircraft in categories a through e (it includes 3 axis microlight)

The other option is nothing is changed, and then things will be as they are.

Last Edited by LeSving at 04 Dec 09:15
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Dimme wrote:

Does this mean that e.g. in Sweden we will be able to fly microlights (three axis) on the EASA license? Without having to get issued the separate UL license and pay the extra annual fee?

I wonder how this is going to work also. I think the UL license still will be required, I haven’t seen anything to the opposite. As I understand it, hours in a UL will also count as currency for the EASA FCL. How this is going to be noted in log books and stuff? Today I have two, one for UL and one for PPL. If I can write everything in my PPL logbook that would be nice.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

You can email it to me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

If I can write everything in my PPL logbook that would be nice.

Actually you can do that, you can write any flight time hours in your logbook including as passenger, it is just you can’t claim them for a rating, insurance, re validation so you have to keep separate counts, it seems you can even have your own logbook design with few extra columns.

I did not try myself but I know someone who fly mix of microlights, aeroplanes, gliders who did build his own logbook format and print it in A5 papers then bundle it.

The only comments he got: one from someone in UK CAA one day is to have page numbers on his prints (btw there are none in “official logbooks”) and another one from an instructor who refused to do his TMG reval & sign it

The same may happen on electronic pilot/aircraft logbooks some may insist on having a print

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Dec 10:10

Dimme wrote:

Does this mean that e.g. in Sweden we will be able to fly microlights (three axis) on the EASA license? Without having to get issued the separate UL license and pay the extra annual fee?

You can do that already — in practise, if not formally, it works like an additional class rating on your EASA license.

Ibra wrote:

I am also surprised that Sweden does not allow to fly 3-axis micro (and weight shifts?) on a part-fcl with difference training?
Sweden does allow it for 3-axis. Don’t know about weight shift.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

The wording of the AMC is very open tough: any 3 axis micro even those you can’t fly with an EASA licence?

I think this maybe is one source of confusion? It seems the UK has a very different regime than the rest of Europe, with national licenses for certain aircraft? It’s not clear to me how it works. What is SSDR?

For the rest of Europe it’s different (at least northern/western parts). EASA FCL “works” for everything. To get an UL license when you have an FCL is just a matter of flying with an instructor for an hour, and you got it. But, there is a separate UL license. This license has nothing to do with EASA, and you can take it from scratch. With this license you can fly an UL as defined in Annex I part e only.

Up until now, you cannot fly an UL and gain EASA FCL currency in it, even if you have an EASA FCL. It will only give you currency for the UL license. That has nothing to do with the license as such, but the aircraft. With the wording

All hours flown on any aeroplane registered in an ICAO Contracting State shall count in full towards fulfilling the hourly requirements of this Part as long as the aircraft matches the definition and criteria of the respective Part-FCL aircraft category as well as its class and type ratings.

It all changes. The only criteria is that it matches the category etc. A SEP is a SEP.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes, the UK has a national NPPL(M) for “ULs”, the M is considered as “class rating” in the national regime, the “ULs” can be 3-axis: 1/ SEP, 2/ Micro, 3/ SSDR (single seat deregulated), 4/ wing-shift, floats and some weirdos

As I understand it, you can fly microlights [1/ & 2/] on Part-FCL licence with difference training sign-off on your logbook no need for test or a separate licence but you can’t maintain your Part-FCL SEP(L) using microlight time (not yet, but seems something is coming !) tough you can maintain NPPL(A) SSEA (sort of SEP) with microlight time…

For 3/ or 4/, it is a bit weird, many microlights instructors will hint for you to apply for a NPPL(M) to fly these, how do you do get difference training in single seat? and you may need a “control type” check but nothing is written in logbook or licence?

LeSving wrote:

A SEP is a SEP.

I don’t think it is that simple

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Dec 15:38

The presentation emailed to me by LeSving is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Has there been any recent progress on this theme?

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message