Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Merits of partial glass

The current fashion is to update an analog six pack with a new GPS and replacing the AI and DG with glass units (Garmin take your pick of options Sandel Aspen etc). In some cases the vacuum system is also removed.

Owners seem to appreciate this partial updating, but does it detract from the aircraft in the rental market as it now becomes less standard than a full glass panel?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Owners seem to appreciate this partial updating, but does it detract from the aircraft in the rental market as it now becomes less standard than a full glass panel?

We did exactly that (AI & HSI, threw out the vacuum) to our C182 and everyone in the club LOVES it ! It is a total game changer for IFR and especially now with the GFC500 AP installed it’s a joy to fly. If only the bird was a bit faster, LOL !

Last Edited by 172driver at 11 May 15:15

RobertL18C wrote:

but does it detract from the aircraft in the rental market as it now becomes less standard than a full glass panel?

For rental (= unfamilar place) then flying IMC, I will only fly on 100% Steam or G1000, but can take if it has GFC or KFC/KAP !
I have done flew (Aspen, G5, G500, GNS, GTN, IFD) but it seems to produce bad habits
XPlane + AirManager does not help much

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 May 15:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I personally like the reliability and functionality merits of mixed steam and glass gauges. Also mixed certified + tablet displays.

I like the fact that with no electrics I still have quite a large IFR functionality.
That is the reason why I retained the vacuum AI as the sole vacuum instrument rather than doing away with the vacuum system entirely.
I also like the AI on Garmin pilot (panel +yoke-mounted ipads) with the solid-state gyros in the GTX345 transponder as a second AI backup.
A similar reason is why I installed steam engine instruments, that the prior owner had removed when installing the EI CGR-30 engine monitor.

No clue if that makes the airplane more or less attractive to others. I do not share the currently common view that all-electric and/or all glass is better, but to me the superior functionality of glass panels is also unquestionable.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Also I prefer modular glass rather than fully integrated. Modifying or upgrading integrated glass has proven cost-prohibitive and functionally restricted.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

I do not share the currently common view that all-electric and/or all glass is better,

The advantage of full glas is a uniform presentation of information.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

The advantage of full glas is a uniform presentation of information.

True. For an owner however the disadvantage is that you are totally over a barrel with upgrade possibilities. Especcially G1000 owners will spend a LOT of money e.g. for WAAS upgrades, which are MUCH easier and cheaper to do on a conventional avionic setup.

Personally I love the upgrade to the Aspen, I think I might have mentioned it before .

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I’ve come across several clubs that either have done or are in the process of migrating away from vacuum powered AH and DI across to G5 or similar. In addition to the extra functionality and resilience (local battery backup, DI can act as AI in emergency), it avoids the cost of regular replacement of the vacuum pump.

Some clubs/owners seem to wait until one or other fails and then take the opportunity to swap out one or both. Others have been more proactive with their investments. It seems to be the general direction that the industry has quietly adopted.

The additional information on the G5 is very useful, such as ground track direction and more recently outside air temp and density altitude (where sensors are fitted)

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

One of the things I’ve noticed over the years is that when you fly somewhere reasonably far away, most of the planes you see there (and which travelled a similar distance) is that very few are “glass”. You see very few SR22s and you see very few Diamonds.

Obviously those on EuroGA are a big exception

Why is this?

I reckon the answer is obvious: any issues with “glass” need a Garmin dealer! And if you are non-Garmin then you need a very good avionics shop, or a “captive” electronic chap who can fix stuff (like blown LCD backlight inverters) off the books. And after you’ve had a few issues with that, you are gonna stick to nice easy local trips, because getting stuck in say Greece is going to be a huge problem.

Obviously the scene is changing, as more and more SR22s etc are sold in Europe, but still, visit Croatia or Greece or S Italy and look at what you see.

That’s why I am sticking with what I have, possibly with a (photoshop pic below showing 2×IFD540) a re-do of the centre stack

The whole thing is much more manageable. I have shelf spares of a lot of the items: KI256, KLN94, SG102, etc. Result is negligible downtime. And no dealer needed; just an A&P signature.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I assume cost matters as well?
I mean Aspen+engine monitor vs G500 TXI. Although, the latter is modular as well, not fully integrated glass.

EGTR
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message