Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MCR 4S, emergency landing on a frozen lake

This happened today. An MCR 4S from Molde (ENML) to Røros (ENRO) had to make an emergency landing on frozen lake close to Oppdal (ENOP). All 3 on board survived without any injuries, but the aircraft had a rough time in the not too deep snow. The pilot said he could smell burned oil, and seconds later the engine died at 9k feet. They glided down to the lake.

A similar thing will normally happen if you land outside the plowed and prepared strips on frozen lakes (Like that excellent video the other day). It’s a god idea to land on the plowed strips. For landing outside the strips you need skis.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My nightmare scenario when there are frozen, snow-covered lochs in Scotland is thin ice, covered by thick snow. A forced landing would not be survivable. (Not something we get every winter.)
A group of us skiid onto a snow-covered loch. I pushed a ski-stick down, to see how deep the snow was. It came up wet. We quickly and cautiously returned to the shore. A ski detaching would be a disaster.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

They have now towed the aircraft from the lake. They did this in a rather amusing fashion. The ice had water on top (below the snow, we call it “over water” literally). This makes it rather difficult for a tractor, and also the aircraft have to be towed on some sort of sleigh.

What they did was to take two pieces of auto safety barriers in steel and make to long skis. They fixed those to the aircraft and towed it off the ice with a skiing track preparation machine. Where it is off to next, I have no idea.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is in a shop in “østlandet” being inspected and repaired. The whole recovery took the better part of 24 hours.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message