Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Malta Luqa LMML

I’m planning short trip to Malta next weekend (extended with some holiday). I checked AIP but I’m not sure who to contact – it seems that handling and PPR are mandatory but it’s not clear how to get additional info. Airport site doesn’t give any info on general aviation (at least I can’t find it) and googling doesn’t give much either. Any clues, info on fees and fuel prices?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Haven’t been for years, but AFAIK, the more affordable handling agent is Air Malta (50€). The other one is much more expensive. I would just drop an email with my details to Air Malta.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was based in Malta for a couple of years until earlier this year. Even for based aircraft, handling was mandatory for international movements except for the flying schools. I used Medavia who provided excellent, responsive and reliable service (I have no link to them). A couple of my GA colleagues used DC Aviation and were equally happy.

Using a good handling agent will probably save you time and money as they will coordinate the various authorisations, including PPR from TM-CAD (Transport Malta – Civil Aviation Directorate). You will need to note the TM-CAD number in the flight plan, field 18 RMK.

The handlers will also organise fuel as required. This is a somewhat unreliable bowser from EneMalta and it is best to arrange delivery for early in the day (0800) or you may have to wait several hours, as commercial air traffic takes priority. Fuel should be free of duty for an international departure and I recommend you clarify this before delivery as the bowser personnel sometimes get this wrong.

If you need any informal advice on local flying, have a chat with Malta School of Flying. As an aside, if you arrive VFR it’s worth familiarising yourself with the VRPs. If you are lucky, they will ask you to orbit over Grand Harbour on the approach to 23. Spectacular!

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

NeilC wrote:

Fuel should be free of duty for an international departure and I recommend you clarify this before delivery as the bowser personnel sometimes get this wrong.

Even for EU departure (Croatia)?

As an aside, if you arrive VFR it’s worth familiarising yourself with the VRPs. If you are lucky, they will ask you to orbit over Grand Harbour on the approach to 23.

I’m arriving IFR and after 5 hours flight I don’t like additional orbiting

Last Edited by Emir at 20 May 10:54
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We use Globe Aviation at Luqa. Ask for Julie, tell her you’re a referral from Flight Calibration and I’m sure she’ll give you the best deal she can. Tel: 00 356 23696421

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

We use Globe Aviation at Luqa.

Thanks!

Currently I have offer for €150 from Aviaserve for handling plus approximately €30 for landing and parking plus some administrative fees and it will probably end with over €200 which is definitely way too much for 1.8t aircraft with crew only, no passangers.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Dave_Phillips: Actually the offer I got is from Globe Aviation – the e-mails I sent to them and to Aviaserve ended at same person who wrote that €150 was absolute minimum for handling.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I guess that’s about right. I’ve just checked our charges for a trip last month and I paid 436.35 Euro for three landings and associated fees. We probably get a bit of a discount as we are regulars and are calibrating navaids.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

A friend of mine once said “Something is wrong when your landing fee is more than your fuel bill” For this round trip which is 9 flight hours, it will be €300 in fuel and €280 in landing fees – so I’m still on the safe side

Last Edited by Emir at 21 May 04:13
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

They must still be paying off the damage note from WW2. So I guess Malta is off my radar. Im not interested is going any further south.

Is Pantelleria also that expensive?

KHTO, LHTL
91 Posts
Sign in to add your message