Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AOA indicators in general aviation a/c

I wonder if any of you is using an AOA indicator? If yes, what brand/model and what are your experiences? Is it a worthwhile investment in a typical touring SEP not used for STOL work?

There have been some articles on the subject in the US media like Flying.

Some time ago I posted that topic on a German forum but the final tenor was something like "don't talk too much about it or the the authorities will get the idea to prescribe it" :-( ...

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I had one in my STOL kitted C-150 a long time ago, but it was not capable of operating at the very slow speeds the plane would fly. I won't say I was unhappy with it, but I did remove it.

I'm installing a brand new one in the 182 amphibian, which I will fly and set up in a few weeks. I will report the observations in detail here at that time. If I forget, feel free to remind me....

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I have one in the RV (so is uncertified) and works great. Mine required a tube from the top of the leading edge and another on the bottom of the wing, both with critical measurements, these two tubes go into the EFIS, and displayed there. There are standalone units and Dynon has one that is incorporated in the Pitot head, again all uncertified.

With a short strip it is very easy to get the best approach speed/angle, whatever the wind or weight.

Norman
United Kingdom

It's fairly standard fit on Citations, including a 3 light display above the glareshield. In my fairly limited time on these I don't look at it except to check that the Vref bug is set at the right point (i.e.not below the aoa doughnut on the speed display)

I have canvassed opinion from other pilots and nobody seems to use it apart from a couple of ex military guys who were total devotees having flown jets off aircraft carriers!

I think they are probably really good if you are looking for ultimate stol performance.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

In my fairly limited time on these I don't look at it except to check that the Vref bug is set at the right point (i.e.not below the aoa doughnut on the speed display)

Yesterday I flew from the right hand seat for the first time since my last RHS checkride (August last year...) and I really missed the AOA indexer, that carrier-aircraft-style display above the glareshield that is only visible from the left seat. Once below minimum and in the visual segment of the approach, you can keep one eye on the PAPI and the other one on the AOA lights with no need to look at any other instrument. I find that very convenient! But I never look at the tiny little AOA indicator on the instrument panel either.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Once below minimum and in the visual segment of the approach, you can keep one eye on the PAPI and the other one on the AOA lights with no need to look at any other instrument. I find that very convenient!

That's what the carrier pilots said. I can't be doing with it. Personal choice I suppose.

But I never look at the tiny little AOA indicator on the instrument panel either.

Neither do I. I don't know what flavour of Citation you fly but I think the little green doughnut on the ASI tape of the Proline 21 is a very useful feature. Although it is not actually an AOA indication it is derived from it.

I don't know what flavour of Citation you fly but I think the little green doughnut on the ASI tape of the Proline 21 is a very useful feature. Although it is not actually an AOA indication it is derived from it.

I fly the Bravo and Encore that have the old Honeywell Primus avionics. We have a little caret in the speed tape that indicates Vref derived from the AOA vane. It's useful to check whether you have calculated the right landing mass and dialled in the correct value for Vref but it only works properly once you have selected landing flaps.

EDDS - Stuttgart

@Pilot DAR, any news on 182 AoA?

EFHF

The 182 should be ready for first flight next week, It'll be a couple of flights before I have it set up. I will report how it works following my flights...

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
193 Posts
Sign in to add your message