Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your instrument panel

Lionel, you are correct, check out post #21 on this thread for a Robin panel.

Silvaire wrote:

It’s nice that the guy on the left can fly with either hand… Its an unusual setup but looks to work fine.

Thanks for the video!

I like it, too, and as a bothhanded pilot I am constantly changing :-)
If you happen to visit Germany, feel free to drop a note. Perhaps we can make some burger runs together…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Next summer I’ll be taking a road trip all around Germany, and will bear that in mind! Thanks

Jodel DR1050 (Robin precursor) had 2 throttles as built. I’ve flown one which had the left throttle removed.
After an annual, while a C of A aircraft, the right throttle friction mechanism had not been tightened, and loosening it actually unscrewed the whole item from the panel.
Taking a potential Group share buyer for a flight, I took over for the final approach. Feelling the throttle too tight, using the left one, I loosened the right friction. This jammed both throttles, but fortunately we just made the runway.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Lots of planes have dual throttle controls and they are often complex to implement due to interacting friction and double push-pull cables. What’s unusual to me about the Sperling setup (other than its appearance) is that it looks to use only one push-pull cable, with the connection between left and right throttle controls made by a torque tube running across the base of the instrument panel. In the distant past when dreaming about how I’d implement dual throttles on a future homebuilt project, I’d considered something like that but had never seen it put into practice.

The panel in our Piper Dakota. It’s a wonderful little plane, we’ve flow it all over the world and it’s incredibly versatile. Here we’re going between Malta and Crete (~130 Ktas @ ~10 gallons / hr) but most of the time we’re flying in and out of more remote locations (with lots of payload) so the bigger engine really helps.

At the time we did the panel Garmin hadn’t released the G5 or new autopilot so we’ve got the SAI-340 and S-TEC 55×. The S-TEC is great for the flying we do in this aircraft where the fun is hand flying (especially near the ground!), we really only use it in cruise and cruise climb / descent. The SAI-340 caused a lot of issues initially, we went through 4 of them in a matter of weeks (all replaced by Sandia) but we finely seem to have one that works.

EGTR

Very nice.

Funny side note: one can usually tell when a panel overhaul is done and the ADF is still kept, then it is most likely an aircraft from the UK…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My Standard Cirrus panel. There is a compass on top of the coaming. The holder on the right is for an old Garmin 12XL GPS. I also have a moving map/glide computer on a 5" phone speaking to the Flarm/vario/gps by bluetooth.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

@Peter TKS is on the left side, where 5,9 is illuminated.

Autopilot can be switched from the digital source (Aspen) to the standard vaccum instruments. Switch is absolutely smooth and gives me a full backup to all the electronical stuff. By the way, to maintain the standard vacuum instruments helps the w&b of the BE33.

EDDS , Germany

This is the new instrument panel installed in June 2017 on my 1985 T20
The installation including complete rewiring was executed by SIBA Avionics of Dinan France and consisted of:
- An Aspen 1000 Pro
- A PS Engineering 450 audio
- A Garmin GTN 650
- A STec 55x AP coupled to the Aspen, and GTN

Every piece of instrument and altogether work very wellt.

Sign in to add your message