Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon Skyview HDX got an FAA STC

Old thread I know.

I am selling an aeroplane to a guy in America who restores aircraft. He is full of praise for the Skyview HDX and says it is simple to install, update and use. I was wondering about the UK acceptance of FAA STC’s post-Brexit. I know the cost of the G3X, and he said the Skyview can be around half of that. I was looking at the system installed on a Viper SD4 my friend has, and it’s very slick.

What route (if any) exists to fitting this STC to a G-Reg aircraft?

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Snoopy wrote:

Because of (aerodynamic) changes to the aircraft that are relevant to this after market autoflight system?

Possible, but as I would estimate 90% of Seneca II’s have boots installed, I’d have expected a bit more effort to get it working there? I’ve flown the Senecas before, so far not one I’ve seen did not have boots.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Because of (aerodynamic) changes to the aircraft that are relevant to this after market autoflight system?

always learning
LO__, Austria

The exact wording is this:

Any Piper Seneca airplane model listed above can currently install the Dynon autopilot except for serial numbers 34-7570001 through 34-8170092 when equipped with pneumatic de-ice boots.

It appears that this excludes the Seneca II with de icing boots only. Looking at the serial numbers on blue book, all Seneca III and later are ok. Apparently the Seneca I is also excluded in total, boots or not.

One wonders why and what do they want to do about it. The Seneca II in my view is one of the most attractive Senecas on the used market as it delivers the most bang for buck and therefore would be the prime candidate for an upgrade.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 Nov 13:51
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Preventing its use on FIKI aircraft, probably.

Ah, that sounds plausible (boots => FIKI), hopefully it also prevents (implicitly) its use in non-FIKI aircrafts in FIKI conditions, the message was not clear and even confusing

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Nov 13:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Preventing its use on FIKI aircraft, probably.

Note that “FIKI” is a US term, relating to US wx services, etc, but this probably means they didn’t want to / were unable to certify it for flight in icing conditions.

Normally an autopilot POH (in light GA) says you should hand fly in icing conditions, but nobody actually does that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

it got only approved for planes where the deice boots are not installed

Yes it clarifies the scope but still puzzling what does an avionics STC has to do with not having ice-boots?

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Nov 12:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I would read the wording of the press release that it got only approved for planes where the deice boots are not installed.

Germany

Dynon HDX just got approved for most Piper PA-34 Seneca models – including the autopilot. Why the de-ice boots are required I do not know.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I’m not sure if TSOd device that provides AI function in IMC (and should be certified to DO-178C Level A or B) can be implemented on basic Linux.
VxWorks, LynxOS-178, Nucleus RTOS, INTEGRITY-178, SafeRTOS (what else am I missing?) – these I can see as being the primary OS on the certified device, but basic Linux or Windows? Not so sure.

EGTR
80 Posts
Sign in to add your message