Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon Skyview HDX got an FAA STC

Dynon’s Airventure news landed in my email inbox today. Looks like an interesting year for N-Reg owners and pilots who are considering a panel upgrade.

Edited to add that this news has nothing to do with the D10A, which is not certified but can be installed under an EAA STC.

Last Edited by Jacko at 23 Jul 16:42
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

This old thread relates to the D10A EFIS, which is non-certified.

The certified Skyview HDX system is a different kettle of fish:

Dynon Certified panels feature SkyView HDX
Primary Flight Display with Synthetic Vision and Angle-of-Attack
Approach capable Autopilot
Engine Monitor with all EGTs/CHTs, Lean Assist, and Fuel Computer
Mapping with Flight Planning, ADS-B Traffic and Weather, and Electronic Flight Bag
Mode S Transponder with 2020-compliant ADS-B Out

Last Edited by Jacko at 23 Jul 16:38
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

If this comes to fruition, then it’s a total game changer. A complete glass panel including engine instruments and autopilot for $16K? It will certainly kill off companies like Aspen, STEC, L3 and JPI etc. Avidyne might go on, and certainly Garmin. But only fi they keep their autopilot game on point. It’s going to kill Garmin’s entry level sales unless they certify the G3X in a hurry and even then, it will hurt them bad (as they don’t have nearly as comprehensive and integrated system as Dynon).

I would expect Garmin to buy Dynon very soon.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 24 Jul 04:11

I have it on very good authority that Garmin make much more $ from their sales to the US Experimental market than from the certified market. The numbers are just bigger and the aircraft owners just keep spending money, changing their panel every few years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have it on very good authority that Garmin make much more $ from their sales to the US Experimental market than from the certified market.

I think can be qualified with “certified piston GA retrofit market”.

The numbers are just bigger and the aircraft owners just keep spending money, changing their panel every few years.

The other reason is that costs are lower, so people can afford to spend the money.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 24 Jul 05:32
EGEO

Indeed; I didn’t think homebuilders inherently like spending money more than certified owners. It is the affordability of the kit that makes the difference – despite an airframe like the RV going for considerable money by itself. In the certified world a few people spend the 30k-50k and that’s it for the next 20 years…

One can see the problem for avionics installers, who are set up to make money from tea and cakes (transponder installations to owners who got 5 quotes) and from the occassional big spender. Now, take out the big spenders…! The certified owners will still need an installer to do it (99% of them) so the labour yield is assured, but the value of the dealer discount on the avionics will be much less. 25% of 5k is a lot less than 25% of 30k.

OTOH this product is $16k, not $5k… but for that you get two of the below, an autopilot, and engine monitor, etc.

Administrator

AdamFrisch wrote:

I would expect Garmin to buy Dynon very soon.

Well, no. I would expect Dynon to buy Avidyne very soon or have an extended partnership with them. That would enable Dynon to provide a complete integrated solution with the GPS/NAV/COM from Avidyne.
There are no radios/certified GPS in the 16K solution of Dynon. I just made a small sheet of what would be included:

HDX10inches 4580
ahrs 1200
ems 600
2 servos 1500
backup battery 180
adsb receiver 795
transponder 2200
gps antenna 590
adsb antenna 29
cables 150
d10a 2200
STC 2000
Total 16024

Anyway, that brings any plane in the 21st century!

Belgium

Peter wrote:

OTOH this product is $16k, not $5k… but for that you get two of the below, an autopilot, and engine monitor, etc

For 16K, you get only one HDX 10 inches screen+a backup 4 inches EFIS D10A.

Belgium

The future of the avionics business thus hangs on how much new business this will create, plus how many will do it regularly.

OTOH the installer scene is currently overloaded for the foreseeable future with the 8.33 bonanza… and most 8.33 is a lot less work than this product.

Administrator

Unless Garmin certifies the G3X in a hurry, Dynon will eat their lunch in this segment. And who in their right mind would buy any of the new G500 or G600 autopilots when this comes out?

80 Posts
Sign in to add your message