Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin introduces retrofit autopilots (GFC500 and GFC600)

Garmin expands GFC500 support to PA-30/39 Twin Comanche the first light twin in portfolio.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Excellent news. I am having the GFC500 installed in my single Comanche 250 as we speak. I can’t wait to finally have a modern autopilot in the Comanche-

Switzerland

The GFC500 is really temptative. If I wouldn’t already have an Aspen installed with GPSS I would go for it, too. Even the Combo GFC500 plus two Garmin devices to feed the AP is cheaper than any S-TEC AP (I won’t write comparable, because it’s not).

Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Seemed to work fine for me a few weeks ago…

@boscomantico Just stumbled over the picture, and have a question: doesn’t this installation has a standby AI? I assume that the second Garmin round device is treated as standby AI, because it can switch display properties?

Last Edited by UdoR at 18 Nov 11:57
Germany

Many twincos still have the Piper altimatic III, I think this is excellent news. Install two GI275s a GFC500 and GNX375 of some sort and I might be very tempted to go for one :-). Nothing beats aircraft build in the golden sixties!!!

EBST

UdoR wrote:

@boscomantico Just stumbled over the picture, and have a question: doesn’t this installation has a standby AI? I assume that the second Garmin round device is treated as standby AI, because it can switch display properties?

The standby AI is the second G5. And in case the whole electrical system goes belly up, you have internal batteries in the devices the keep the working for some time.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

The standby AI is the second G5. And in case the whole electrical system goes belly up, you have internal batteries in the devices the keep the working for some time.

Yes thanks for clarification.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

S-TEC AP

it is so true. While I was checking out APs for my Comanche I got a quote from STEC for their new 3100. It was ridiculous. The STEC equipment alone was more expensive than a gfc500 with 3 servos + dual G5 with oat option including installation. STEC still needed something like Aspen on top for full capabilities.
The only time a 3100 makes sense is if you take the upgrade option from an older stec unit. for a new installation GFC500 is no brainer.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 19 Nov 09:07
Switzerland

Don’t forget this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

yes I read that too in the manual. What I don’t understand though if it uses gps for more “precision” why it completely disconnects when gps signal is lost. It is how it is.
In any case, looking at the big picture, GFC500 is the best autopilot for the money for retrofitting in a certificated aircraft like mine. Another option was Trio but easa would not let me install and the unit is only allowed to fly gps tracks.

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message