Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What a mess! (Commander avionics refit)

What a mess! Gives me anxiety and palpitations just looking at all those friggin cables and nasty stuff! Good news is they said they probably removed 100lbs of cabling and old radios etc. That’s on top of the 50lbs of fire radios that my mechanic removed previously. Tomorrow the CAD test acrylic panel goes in and all gets mounted and adjusted, before they commit to cutting and engraving.

Not out of the woods yet.

Wow, really looks like something out of an airplane graveyard. But I bet it is gonna look very nice when they get it sorted!

ESSZ, Sweden

Don’t remind me……..

EDLE

Holy cannoli! That’s a lot of wiring.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 01 Feb 08:13
LFPT, LFPN

Great post, Adam

For about 10 years I was hangared at a turboprop maintenance facility and saw this regularly, but saw more when visiting dedicated avionics shops.

It’s probably impossible for a shop to work out an accurate quote in a situation like this. They have no idea what they will find.

What are you installing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Don’t worry Adam, they always look like that when the fronts are removed. But it appears they seem to be doing a thorough job with old cables which is a definite plus.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hopefully!

Putting an IFD540 in there and a Garmin GNC 255 nav/com below it. Remote mode S-transponder (so it doesn’t take up any panel space). My backup will be a L3 Genesis. I had to commit to new radar unfortunately, as it accomplished displaying on the IFD and saving space, and also because it was just marginally more expensive than installing an EX600 screen that could use the old radar. The EX600 was about $9800 and the new radar was $15K. Didn’t want to get new radar, but in the end I thought maybe it’s best. I’d really hate myself if I’d installed an EX600 at great cost and then my old radar would have broken down.

They say it should be ready in mid Feb. I don’t believe them for a second…

AdamFrisch wrote:

Miracles do happen. You need to have faith. Even immaculate conception is possible according to some sources.

LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

It’s probably impossible for a shop to work out an accurate quote in a situation like this. They have no idea what they will find

If you’re going to completely rewire it, does it matter what you find – since it’s all going to go anyway?

Andreas IOM

AdamFrisch wrote:

Ah well, after your previous experience I suppose any time in February would be good news. But maybe they’ll do it. Be sure to tell us when they do. I do enjoy your reports :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message