Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

50 Hour Check Extension?

I want to go flying tomorrow and only have 42 hours usage since my Annual but have just bumped into the 6 month time limit.

I know for “planning purposes” I can extend 10% on the 50 hour check (so can extend to 55 hours) but can I extend the time limit by 10% ….so push this another 18 days? If I can’t I’ll need to get up bloody early and do the 50 hour check before I go to France!

United Kingdom

Can anyone other than an A&P authorise an extension ?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Can anyone other than an A&P authorise an extension ?

A&P is an FAA qualification, and there is no hard limit at 50hrs on an N-reg. There is only the Annual, and a 100hr check if (loosely paraphrasing) you train other people in your plane.

On a G-reg the 50hr and 150hr checks are hard limits but you can get an extension up to 10% on the 50hr check authorised by an EASA66 guy – AFAIK but I will leave this to someone who knows.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have never heard of a legally imposed (6 months) time limit for a 50 hrs. Where does that come from?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 04 Jan 18:26
LFPT, LFPN

The 6 month limit assumes the aircraft is on U.K. CAA LAMP schedule. It requires either the CAMO (if in a controlled environment) or an EASA Part 66B1 to certify the extension and then only if there are no ADs due as these can’t be extended.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Is there any way around the limit? Can one e.g. define one’s own schedule, IAW the aircraft MM?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With the new Part M rules, owners need to go onto a self-declared maintenance programme by the next ARC or September 2017, whichever occurs first. The SDMP can be the manufacturer’s Chapter 4/5 requirements or the EASA MIP (Minimum Inspection Programme – pretty much identical to the FAA 100hr/annual) or something else which the owner comes up with, provided it’s no less restrictive that’s the MIP. Another case of EASA seeing the light and simplifying things after initially going off on the wrong track. Just a shame it’s taken so long.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 04 Jan 19:31
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

A&P is an FAA qualification, and there is no hard limit at 50hrs on an N-reg. There is only the Annual, and a 100hr check if (loosely paraphrasing) you train other people in your plane.

Correct and many are not aware of this simple fact.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The question has to be asked “is it a good idea to push the 50 hour / six month check any further into the future considering the four month oil change recommendations from Lycoming ?”.

Thanks all, in the end I got up really early, did the 50 hour check and went flying! Northern France was very quiet yesterday – nobody about!

I had no idea on the 4 month Lycoming recommendation but this has been happening in the past in any case due to the number of hours that I’ve been flying ………..except for this year where my hours are way down due to being away.

My new regime will be to change the oil every 25 hours (& the filter every 50 hours) as I’m aiming to try to run my engine well beyond 2,000 hours if possible.

United Kingdom
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message