Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine overhaul / repair shop recommendation

It runs fine, but it is telling me it is gradually getting older, the way engines do.

How is that if I may ask?

For instance: gaskets start weeping a little more than they used to (emphasis on ‘little’); it is a very easy engine to start, but the past year it has become a bit more difficult; she misses one or two knots in cruise;

EHTE, Netherlands

If you measure the valve travel and it’s still within the limits and the compression is OK, then the engine will not deliver less power than in the book. It’s a myth than an old or “tired” engine delivers less power. It has to be nearly destroyed to deliver less power output.

I mostly agree with Achim that properly set up old engines deliver the same power as new ones. But I think the one exception is the turbochargers. Our old ones always checked fine on the inspections etc. but then after the overhaul we noted a great increase in critical altitude. Apparently as with a turbine engine the hot sections of the turbochargers loose some efficiency over time.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

1987 is nearly a new engine. 1000hrs.
I’ve put my 1976 engine into overhaul 2 years ago, because I had a prop strike.
It worked well before, so there was no need for an overhaul.

United Kingdom

I’ve flown a couple of planes that felt more powerful after an engine overhaul, better climb rate, and noticeably more takeoff acceleration. Both had high operational time on the engine prior to overhaul, at recommended TBO or higher.

My 1971 manufactured Lycoming has a bit over 1000 hrs total time, and to the best of my knowledge (and per logbook) has never been overhauled, only maintained, oil pump AD etc.. So far there’s been nothing about the engine that would lead me to believe it needs work – it runs very well, doesn’t leak, clean oil/filters and minimal oil consumption. I’ll keep running it.

@Peter, I’ve sent Barrett an e-mail, was wondering if they have a EASA approval/certificate?

EHTE, Netherlands

I mentioned this issue in the writeup.

AFAIK they are not EASA approved, so – on the face of it – such an overhaul can be used only on an N-reg.

But there always used to be a route via an Export CofA document which, if supplied with an engine or a propeller, made it OK to install on a G-reg (or presumably any EASA-reg). You needed an FAA DAR to sign the form and it used to cost about $300.

Then the FAA stopped issuing that form, and last I heard was that the UK CAA (at least) started accepting engines without it.

Unfortunately I never researched the subject further.

This may also be applicable.

It is unfortunate that all the engine overhaul companies for which one can easily do due diligence and get 100% positive feedback are not EASA approved!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are a good number of quality shops in Europe. I’d have no problem going to Röder or Ghönert here and there are hundreds of airplanes with overhauls from these shops. I’d never take the warranty risk of overseas shipping for something as simple as a Lycoming overhaul.

I can recommend Ghönert from personal experience.

The engine warranty question is a debatable one. In the SEP context, it’s like having a warranty on a parachute. If I could choose between

• an engine shop which gets 100% good feedback, with (due to shipping costs) no practical warranty, or
  • an engine shop which gets 75% good feedback, which is down the road

I would choose the first one every time.

There have been a number of cases where somebody’s engine came apart after 20 hours, was fixed under warranty, and then came apart again, and then the owner is glad to have had the warranty, but he was just lucky it didn’t come apart before he was able to land.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message