Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Yes, and Hugen in the Netherlands happen to be around the corner for me, so for me to get a bottle filled I pay 10 euro. Now, I do have the build-in Oxygen in the Cirrus SR22T and use it about all the time, except when I am flying with passengers (other than my wife). Normally I will file at FL180, but with passengers in the back I will try to stay at or around FL80. Now the problem is indeed the refilling on the build in O2 in the Cirrus while enroute. I have been lucky to find O2 suppliers while on a trip what were willing to refuel for hardly any money or in one case (in Switzerland) for nothing at all.

Having the O2D2 pulse regulator helps a lot in not having to refill that often.

EDLE, Netherlands

This may also be relevant regarding “jet service” refills.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Related question: I have an oxygen bottle from Nelson attached, but removable, in my plane. Only used it one single time, but plan to use it this summer. Does an Oxygen bottle require maintenance, or is maintenance recommended? If yes, what is checked during maintenance?
Regards, -L

United States

There is a date stamped into the cylinder. You have to retest every 5 or 10 years, depending on the cylinder type.

United Kingdom

Just received my O2D2 system. Will test it after I’ll find the way to refill it :) Thank you all for advices!

EVCA

Enjoy it

I have just been to a presentation on IFR GA CFITs and it struck me that most of the piston ones had one thing in common: the pilots didn’t have oxygen. They flew dodgy “VFR” because they were unable to make proper use of their aircraft operating ceiling. All the other factors (e.g. why they actually flew into the ground) were just a consequence of that. One guy who once shared my hangar killed his whole family in a PA34T.

Administrator

My MH CFFC048 bottle is up for retesting (or whatever you want to call it). What is the typical price tag you guys got for doing this ? And does this include a refill?
I got a quote of € 220. Is this a going rate ?

EBST, Belgium

What is retesting and how often is it required to do it? Today I left my tank at maintenance facility. They will simply refill it from welding oxygen cylinder. But, I think, they’ll not be able to make some certified works with it…

Last Edited by pshz at 29 Apr 18:02
EVCA

In my case: every 5 years

EBST, Belgium

I have not yet had to investigate the pressure test requirement (not had mine long enough) but for the composite cylinders it is normally every 5 years and only two are allowed, so at the 15 year point the cylinder has to be scrapped.

€220 is at the upper end of what I would call reasonable.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message