Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tempest v. Champion oil filter

I've just got a bulk email from Tempest claiming their oil filters are better...

The Tempest one contains a magnet which is easy to inspect.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Tempest one contains a magnet which is easy to inspect.

Honestly, I don't think that's such a smart idea. There is already a magnet in the oil drain plug which the mechanics inspect routinely. They are used to see and accept a certain amount of particles. Now, some of those get retained in the filter magnet making it much more difficult for the mechanic to determine the total amount of chips. And then, there is lots of non-magnetic stuff as well - after all large parts of the engine are made from aluminium alloy. I was once told, that on every oil filter change in an aero engine, the filter needs to be taken apart and inspected properly (http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/190242-1.html) anyway.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Sure; I cut open the oil filter anyway (must be done at every oil change) and send an oil sample off to the USA for analysis.

There is a magnetic drain plug at the base of the sump which is normally checked also but this doesn't always happen...

It's a fair point that if using this oil filter, one might find some steel chips on the filter magnet and find some more on the drain plug magnet. Or maybe just one or the other - depending on which way round the oil flows.

Administrator
  1. Not all oil plugs have magnet and even if there is it will not catch all steal particles.
  2. Many engines are fitted with quick drain.
  3. Although something that I did myself, there is no need to replace oil filter with every oil change. If memory works the filters are good for 100h.
  4. The magnet in the filter, at least in my eyes, is a plus. I used to send the whole assembly to be tested making sure that the testing agency are aware that there is a magnet at the filter's bottom.

Use whatever you like, the differences are minor. I like Tempest

Ben

" and send an oil sample off to the USA for analysis"

Isn't there anyone that can do it in the UK?

There are several, but they tend to be more pricey than the US labs.

I use this firm. At one stage they had a UK agent who sold the prepaid kits for £6.50! Now they cost more, but not hugely so.

A year or two ago I bought about 50 of the kits, with a view to selling them off (non-profit) to other pilots, but unfortunately they ended up costing me rather more than I expected, due to them having been sent (contrary to my instructions) by a ridiculous express service rather than by air parcel post. The kit is just a plastic bottle and some labels, and a box. I am getting rid of them slowly

Administrator

I had a problem with new Tempest filter few days ago - it started spilling oil during first run-up check immediately after change. Changed for Champion and everything was OK. Later, I took a look at it and another one mechanic had on stock and something was wrong with sealing comparing to Champion.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message