Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS (merged)

There are two different things:

One is GPS jamming while the other is GPS Spoofing.

Jamming: GPS won’t work or it will work with a strange behavior (recognized by the pilot), it could even lose GPS signal. Easy to perform. https://theaviationist.com/2018/02/05/see-how-usaf-aggressors-jam-civilian-gps-signals-in-training-at-nellis-air-force-base/

Spoofing: GPS equipment will obtain “valid but false” data. If the a/c is not redundant with a Hybrid solution, i.e. IRS, or with an integrity or RAIM function, the pilot may not appreciate this false data. This is hard to perform and it’s suffered in a small radius around the emitter (20NM approx.)

Don't get too slow
LEBZ | LECN | LECU, Spain

Ships have been victims of GPS spoofing for some years now.
I have not yet heard of successful attempts to spoof airplanes. I wonder if that is because it is harder (RAIM etc.) or because the victims are silent or I just missed it.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The FAA has implemented a “stop buzzer” emergency phrase to stop the US jamming test if a pilot gets into trouble in flight – here.

No such option in Europe…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter but then perhaps the USA doesn’t get low level Tupolevs waving at you in Shoreham from the English Channel/Canal de la Manche :)

Oxford (EGTK)

Peter wrote:

The FAA has implemented a “stop buzzer” emergency phrase to stop the US jamming test if a pilot gets into trouble in flight – here.

No such option in Europe…

It is nice to have a phrase for that – but what is the guaranteed service level of the US forces from mentioning that phrase to actually stopping the jamming?

I can imagine it takes significant time from the ATC unit along the chain of command (who in the military can actually decide to stop such a test) until the guy at the button can actually shut it down – if there is any such procedure defined at all …
For me that sounds more like an FAA placebo than something of real value for flight safety.

Germany

https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/05/gps_jamming_eurocontrol/

“Larnaca could become an absolute shitshow when the Americans jammed it”

How do they know who does the jamming?

Last Edited by Dimme at 09 Mar 10:21
ESME, ESMS

Another article on the aggravations of jamming by the US military:
gps jamming and spoofing frustrations

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message