Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS, and GPS backup plan ?

Last few days I was flying close to some military areas close to Turkish border with Syria, getting all sorts of GPS errors form NO POSITION to different inconsistencies and funny wind data. Pictures below show some examples, reverting to old school IFR and flying to VOR and estimating wind correction was the only possibility for navigation.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Is the last one saying both “NO GPS POSITION” and “INTEG OK”?

EGKB Biggin Hill

He’s got a 2D fix which is fine for Nav but there isn’t a 3D for the terrain database, hence the NO GPS POSITION annunciation on the terrain inset.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 01 May 20:57
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I also got complete loss of GPS including 2D fix but was occupied with flying and didn’t take that picture.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

On a recent multi-day trip around the SW US I had GPS loss on almost every leg. Lasted for around 30 to 60 seconds then came back. We’re still trying to figure out if that was/is an installation issue or if it was jamming. There’s a blanket NOTAM out covering pretty much all of the western US about intermittent GPS signal jamming.

Emir wrote:

I also got complete loss of GPS including 2D fix but was occupied with flying and didn’t take that picture.

You do have a complete loss of GPS in some of the pictures — that’s part of what “DR” means.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you are getting regular GPS dropouts, check whether it is the issue here which is quite common.

I am not surprised Turkey is messing with GPS locally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You don‘t have to fly Turkey, GPS jammed areas are all over Europe. Just yesterday it surprised me again VFR in The Netherlands, until I remembered – ah, that area always has none GPS. But, they do have sufficient fast roads to serve as guidance.

Germany

GPS jammed areas are all over Europe

Can you be more specific?

Just yesterday it surprised me again VFR in The Netherlands

Where was this, specifically?

What do you fly, Markuus? It does an awful lot of hours so you must visit a lot of places. With that many hours, navigating by

But, they do have sufficient fast roads to serve as guidance.

must require a very high degree of skill.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Usually the random GPS-jammed areas are in the vicinity of some military installations or routes.
Yesterdays deja vu was the famous EHGR-EHRD-EHTL-EHVK area, currently also RAT‘ed.

Germany
Sign in to add your message