Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS, and GPS backup plan ?

There are two different things:

One is GPS jamming while the other is GPS Spoofing.

Jamming: GPS won’t work or it will work with a strange behavior (recognized by the pilot), it could even lose GPS signal. Easy to perform. https://theaviationist.com/2018/02/05/see-how-usaf-aggressors-jam-civilian-gps-signals-in-training-at-nellis-air-force-base/

Spoofing: GPS equipment will obtain “valid but false” data. If the a/c is not redundant with a Hybrid solution, i.e. IRS, or with an integrity or RAIM function, the pilot may not appreciate this false data. This is hard to perform and it’s suffered in a small radius around the emitter (20NM approx.)

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Ships have been victims of GPS spoofing for some years now.
I have not yet heard of successful attempts to spoof airplanes. I wonder if that is because it is harder (RAIM etc.) or because the victims are silent or I just missed it.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The FAA has implemented a “stop buzzer” emergency phrase to stop the US jamming test if a pilot gets into trouble in flight – here.

No such option in Europe…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter but then perhaps the USA doesn’t get low level Tupolevs waving at you in Shoreham from the English Channel/Canal de la Manche :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The FAA has implemented a “stop buzzer” emergency phrase to stop the US jamming test if a pilot gets into trouble in flight – here.

No such option in Europe…

It is nice to have a phrase for that – but what is the guaranteed service level of the US forces from mentioning that phrase to actually stopping the jamming?

I can imagine it takes significant time from the ATC unit along the chain of command (who in the military can actually decide to stop such a test) until the guy at the button can actually shut it down – if there is any such procedure defined at all …
For me that sounds more like an FAA placebo than something of real value for flight safety.

Germany

https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/05/gps_jamming_eurocontrol/

“Larnaca could become an absolute shitshow when the Americans jammed it”

How do they know who does the jamming?

Last Edited by Dimme at 09 Mar 10:21
ESME, ESMS

Another article on the aggravations of jamming by the US military:
gps jamming and spoofing frustrations

LSZK, Switzerland

European GPS failure plan

The US has a well publicised back up plan for GPS failure. I recently lost GPS for over an hour headed for Deauville from the South. ATC were quite sharp and routed me via VORs. I organised for a procedural ILS and circle to land. I was told that the French local plan is Paris will give radar at FL90 and Deauville and Caen will keep their ILS but not their radar. Is all this published somewhere that I have missed.

The UK have been switching off ground based aids at a rate recently.
Personally I’m astounded that most people appear ok with it. Now that everyone has fully migrated to Ipad with electronic mapping and GPS or fancy panel GPS, the minute we lose Sat coverage for any reason, we’re gonna struggle.
I just can’t believe an NDB costs that much to maintain. A VOR is significantly dearer but in a bind you can still achieve a lot from a few NDB’s.
The UK radar coverage is ok ish but not really there for GA.

United Kingdom

Yes there is a plan. But I don’t know where it was. Basically some enroute VORs will be kept and several airports will keep up traditional instrument approaches, however the margin for failures will be quite tight. Only the most important navaids will be kept, so that not much of them may fail in order to lose coordination options.

Germany
Sign in to add your message