Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTX330, GNS530 and traffic information

Mode S TIS has nothing to do with ADSB or 1090ES. A transponder does not have a receiver capable of receiving 1090MHz, its receiver is on 1030 MHz. The mode S permits the use of a two way communication link using these two frequencies. Up to 4 message exchanges can occur as the antenna sweeps past the azimuth of the aircraft. Each message from the ground radar can encode two targets in a few more than 20 bits each. The target data is position up to 7 NM, relative altitude, vector direction of the target, indication of climb and descent, and relative azimuth of the target. That is a lot of stuff to encode in so few number of bits, so the resolution is crude. It is available on ASR 7, 8, and 9 mode S radar systems at a little over 100 locations in the US. The data is passed to the GNS series of GPS units for display. I haven't heard of it being implemented outside of some areas in the US.

KUZA, United States

What is the hardware used to receive Mode S TIS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What is the hardware used to receive Mode S TIS?

GTX330 receives TIS and then transfers it to GNS. As I remeber GTX setup there's setting for voice messages that includes traffic alert. IMO that means even if you don't display TIS you'll get sound warning on traffic.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Mode S TIS needs a mode S transponder with the software that supports receiving Mode S TIS. The standard software for the Garmin GTX330 supports it, but the European version of the transponder, the GTX328 does not. The Trig Mode S transponders support the TIS capability. On the radar site side, here in the US, the ASR 7,8, or 9 radars support it, but the FAA was unwilling to add the support for the ASR 11 radars. The typical coverage is appproximately a 60 NM radius around the radar site. See http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/tis.html and http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/tis.jsp.

Mode S TIS is often confused with ADSB TISB, but they are quite different. The original data comes from the same source, radar detected traffic, but TIS is quite crude in comparison to TISB and TIS is addressed to a single aircraft on 1030 MHz by the mode S radar whereas TISB is broadcast to all aircraft by an ADSB ground station and anyone with a 1090 MHz receiver can receive them. I will be surprised if either technology makes it outside of the US. ADSB will be available outside of the US, but I doubt that the TISB component will.

KUZA, United States
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message