Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changing an EDM700 from 2 to 3 inch / data compression / TB20 performance settings

This is supposedly exactly identical to the normal (2.5") EDM700; just in the "next size up" box.

One example of a US discount outlet is here.

I am trying to get hold of a drawing of the front bezel, to check that it will fit in the hole left by the KI229 RMI here.

I am pretty sure it will be the same size as the KI229, but JPI say they do not have any drawings! And the photo on that dealer site, and every other site I have found, are obviously those of the 2.5" model i.e. wrong.

It is likely that it is the same as the EDM760 (P10, P16)...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have discovered that JPI in the USA will rebuild the standard 2" EDM700 into the 3" EDM700, for $368, obviously plus shipping.

This is excellent value given that a new 3" EDM700 is around $2800 from e.g. here.

The resulting product is an "EDM700" is every way so any Type Certificate approval, allowing an "EDM700" to be used as the primary or sole CHT instrument, will hold. They say they will even leave your software config intact.

I wish they did a model with a lot more data storage, because I often forget to download it and lose some flights, but they have never upgraded that very popular model which seems to have a huge number of installation approvals.

I am going to extend the sensor cables with a DB25-DB25 extension cable, which will save rewiring all the wires to the probes. Frankly, I can't see why the use of a decent quality DB25 (say €30 rather than €0.30) should introduce unreliability. And the thermocouple effects of the extra junctions should be immaterial, at the temperatures involved.

JPI reckon they can turn it around in 1 week.

Administrator

Just an update: In a whole day's work yesterday I've relocated the existing probe wiring and it does reach the LHS location easily - but not if you still want to be able to tilt the instrument cluster afterwards.

The wires pass through the firewall almost centrally so it is "almost there"...

A lot of installers do wiring without regard to tilting the cluster but that just leaves more work for the next poor bugger to have to go in there. You have to disconnect some instrument connectors before the cluster can be tilted.

If done properly, a 20" (50cm) extension is needed.

After some thought, the proper thermocouple wire has to be used for any extension that runs all the way to the instrument because the EDM runs quite warm and it will be running the cold junction compensation at its end...

Unfortunately the type K cable is not solderable so I will be looking for somebody with DB25 crimp connectors and the £400 crimp tool I have 2 contacts to try (no pun intended)...

Administrator

And here is the 3" EDM700

Same serial number as the original one, as well!

Looking at their drawing in the IM, they started making this in 2009.

The drawing incidentally shows the wrong dimension for the two button holes. I had laboriously machined up a drilling template, which was wasted. Luckily they enclose a nice stamped-steel drilling template with the unit...

For once, very good value at just $368, in aviation terms.

Administrator

Job done.

Original whole panel:

Old RHS panel:

New LHS panel:

The original software config appears to have not been touched, amazingly.

Administrator

Cool. I find it to be extremely useful to have the EDM in my primary field of vision. It is one of the most important instruments.

PS: You're missing a TAS display, I couldn't live without, the IAS gets depressing the higher you climb

Here is a really gripping video...

Administrator

After a couple of flights, I found a few things...

Firstly, JPI did lose some of the factory config. This is the stuff which takes two levels to get into. The supply voltage reporting limits were set for a 12V supply, so it was in effect constantly generating an internal overvoltage, which prevented it reporting other stuff, like oil < 90F and EGTs rising triggering the master warning lamp.

Secondly, it doesn't appear to be logging any data. There is a config in the factory settings for logging, or for output-only, and this is set correctly AFAICS.

Administrator

Update: data logging now works, mysteriously...

It looks like it required several flights and download attempts to straighten out the logging function.

Administrator

The only thing I noticed was 143 KIAS - something I've never seen at my ASI in horizontal flight. I can see the altitude and engine data; do you remember power settings and consumption at that moment?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message